Real-life MMD: Should I share utility switching cashback?

Comments

• his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    If you were to find out one of your flatmates got £30 cashback for having bought/sorted something for the house or if one of them had switched the gas/electric via a cashback website and earned some £s, would you expect them to share? Your honest answer to this will determine what you should do.
  • ja9_c
    ja9_c Posts: 9 Forumite
    I say keep it! You have put all the leg-work in therefore should keep the cashback. Plus we are not talking hundreds of pounds (even though it unlikely I would change my decision!)
  • I suggest you tell your flatmates of your dilemma and let them decide. I would hope they'd say "well done - keep the £30 and thanks for saving us on our bills". Everyone wins and is happy. If they want you to share the cash at least you know you've not deceived anyone and your conscience is clear.
  • Speaking as someone who has never actually received a 'cashback' despite doing everything right to get them, I would say forget it. Cashbacks are mostly a con.
  • dave2
    dave2 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2012 at 7:24PM
    Share it. The "cash back" is simply a discount.

If you're having difficulty understanding this, consider what your position would be if the amount was being deducted from the first bill instead of paid to you directly. The only difference that way is that it is harder to hide it from your housemates; the principle is exactly the same.

Or how about if you'd needed to pay a one-off £30 fee to be able to access this best deal. Would you get your housemates to chip in on that? Why would it be different when the cash is coming in the other direction?

Or how about your flatmate has two deals for Sky package, one £40/m and another £45/m but with £100 cashback (per year or whatever). Would it be okay for them to get the £45 and pocket the £100? But would it not be stupid to get the more expensive £40 deal?

Everybody is expected to hunt for deals and do the legwork and everyone shares the cashback.

(BTW, while trivial perhaps, if you were to be conisdered to be acting as an agent it's technically illegal to keep the cash back as "commission" unless you obtain permission from your principals.)
  • I would stock up with things for the house like loo roll, tea, or put it aside for the next bill to soften the softened blow!

I once bought some books via cashback site for school, then bought books for school with the cashback so that they benefitted - and I felt like I had got them a bargain xx
    :rotfl:
  • Tiggy10
    Tiggy10 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The same thing happened in my house last year. My house mate who got it just put it towards the total of our next bill instead of splitting it, which was very kind. I might not have done the same
    Paying it all off in 2017:
    Finance 1- [STRIKE]115[/STRIKE] Paid Jan 2017
    Finance 2- 335
    CC - [STRIKE]2000[/STRIKE]1800
    OD 1 - [STRIKE]2200[/STRIKE] 1850
    OD 2 - 2500
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    No. Keep it for yourself.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 November 2012 at 8:12PM
    Keep the cashback - it's all yours. You did the legwork and earnt it.

They are already set to share a saving of £150 p/year because of your action. That's extra money they will have in their pocket because of you -to do with as they please.

Keep the cash-back for yourself as reward. If it should come to light then I hope your timely action (and the £30) will inspire them to look for ways to save money on the other household bills. :) Look at it this way, if your house-mates decide you're onto a good thing and do something similar with 2 other bills, you could all be a further £300 /year better off.

Tis a good thing to have a MSE in the house. :)
  • Spend it all on booze, or chocolate or a takeaway and share that with your housemates. Don't tell them it is from cashback and they will think you are awesome because you are being generous (which, judging by the bulk of posters here, you are!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure