What are some good towns/cities/places to go Christmas shopping?

Comments

• Nottingham!!!!

We live in the isle of man and go away for a few days each December to finish xmas shopping.

Loads of shops, olde pubs.

This year tho - most of the shopping wil be done and the kids are coming with us. So we are going to the Panto, there will be an ice rink outside in the square, xmas markets with mulled wine................mmmmmm cant wait.

I am mega lucky this year tho as I get to go to London and Manchester as well for weekends before xmas. So excited about all of the trips.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I like to go to places like Kendal, York or Chester but we are a bit further north than you. I think I will be doing my shopping online this year, there are not enought days left to trawl around the shops LOL.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • I'd second Winchester, beautiful place to visit.

Salisbury is lovely too, as is Guildford.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • i know youve been to birmingham before but there is a brilliant German market that runs from now till 20th dec. loads of different stuff to see thats quite a l;ot different from a lot of stuff in the shops. the food is scrummy as well. people come from miles around just for this.
  • qwiksave
    qwiksave Posts: 4,456
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Royal Leamington Spa where I live is known for good quality shopping. Off the main street (where the mainstream shops are) there are lots of independent & interesting shops. There's also a market on the 'Parade' every Sunday from October to Christmas and several nice cafes around.

If you were looking for a few places, I would also recommend Solihull or Stratford-Upon-Avon for character, all nearby.

HTH,
    Quiksave
    I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful
    Marilyn Monroe
  • Lincoln has a Christmas Market at the beginning of December which is really good, there is also plenty unique gifts shops around the cathedral/steep hill area.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Birmingham is always good because we have one of the largest German markets outside Germany!

Shrewsbury and Chester are also good for Christmas Shopping. Ludlow in Shropshire is also good as its a foodie heaven...mmm...Ludlow sausages its making me hungry just thinking about them.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    arlybarly wrote: »
    i know youve been to birmingham before but there is a brilliant German market that runs from now till 20th dec. loads of different stuff to see thats quite a l;ot different from a lot of stuff in the shops. the food is scrummy as well. people come from miles around just for this.

It was on the local news arly - and they said the Christmas market ends on 24 December.

I love it, all those little stalls selling Christmas decorations, presents and those yummy chocolate marshmallows.:D
  • I live in Salisbury and would say you would be disappointed, we have all the big names and not too many individual stores really. I dislike shopping here.

Bath is the place i find all the one of gifts and trinkets etc. They have lots of one off shops, Poole is lovely too and Dorchester has a market, i believe on a Wednesday and thats full of surprises.
    Comp Wins: Colour Catcher Goody Bag!
    Trying to win big! :j
  • i love the birmnigham german market with the gluhwein! Hmmmm
    In in Gloucester and was going to recommend Cheltenham but you've been there done that!
    Bath looks lovely, but is very busy.
    I've always thought the victorian fayre in worcester might be nice!
    http://www.visitworcester.co.uk/events/view-event.asp?id=2038
    :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family