Free diabetes test

Comments

• Once you are diagnosed with diabetes your physician will prescribe diabetes treatments that will be specifically designed to meet your needs. Individualized diabetes treatments are important because each person is unique. When trying to control blood sugar levels it will take special diabetes treatments designed with your specific needs in mind.
  • There IS a diet based CURE out there for diabetes, including type 1!!! For the skeptics and doubters out there, read a book called 'The China Study' which explains the science. For those who just want to know what to do, find a video called 'Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days'. Dont expect it to be easy, it does involve a drastic change to your typicaly westeern diet, but it works. I've lived it, and seen it work in many others.
  • moyesy
    moyesy Posts: 6 Forumite
    There IS a diet based CURE out there for diabetes, including type 1!!! For the skeptics and doubters out there, read a book called 'The China Study' which explains the science. For those who just want to know what to do, find a video called 'Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days'. Dont expect it to be easy, it does involve a drastic change to your typicaly westeern diet, but it works. I've lived it, and seen it work in many others.

diabetes isn't reversible. once you've got it you've got it for life
  • Subject: Lloyd's Pharmacy "Change of policy" + not quite up to speed staff.

I went to my local LP yesterday to say I wanted a free diabetes test as advertised.

Staff at the LP shop told me to make an appointment for 1000 today and to fast for 12 hours before. No problem.

They also showed me a form that I would have to fill in.

I didn't look at it too closely yesterday so I didn't see that it was a risk assessment.

I asked, should I take the form home and save time by just filling it in and bring it back for my appointment.

"No. You can't do that. You have to fill it in inside the chemist shop."

So I go back for my appointment today and they give me the form. I see that it is a risk assessment. But it didn't say what it was assessing the risk of. Danger of taking the test or danger of having diabetes.

Anyway I filled it in and had to guess the answers to questions like BMI. I don't know anyone who knows their BMI. I certainly don't.

So the pharmacist put scores against my answers and said to me.

"Your score is low so you don't need the test".

So I said,

"You mean I missed supper last night and breakfast this morning in order to fill in a form???"

She said,

" It is our new policy not to test if this risk assessment score is low".

After a little persuasion she did the test.

It came out 5.4 which she tells me is a low risk figure, which is nice.

It niggled me slightly that the only consumables used were 2 minutes of the pharmacists time, one swab, one test strip and one plaster and they were reluctant to do the test.

There were big stickers on the windows advertising 'Free Diabetes type 2 test".

So if your LP Pharmacist starts going on about new policies, point to the sticker on the window.

A risk assessment is not a test. It's just a piece of paper.
  • I had a finger !!!!! test at Lloyds this morning following a 12 hour fast and it was 4.8. I was told that this was low and I should make an appointment with my GP (have this tomorrow now) - confused though having scoured the internet and read many posts saying this is a normal reading!!!!
  • Type 1 diabetes - your pancreas has completely packed up so you have to take daily insulin shots or wear an insulin pump. THERE IS NO CURE FOR TYPE 1. If there was, I wouldn't be supervising my daughter's 4xdaily injections.

Type 2 diabetes - your insulin might not be working properly, so you may have to regulate your diet and exercise. You may need to take medication to help you along the way - as one forumite has already said, everyone is different.

Blood sugar readings should be between 4-7mml, so if you score in this range, you are absolutely fine. However, if you are lower than this, you might wanna think about when you last ate, or get a check from your doctor. If you are higher than this, please go to a doctor and get it checked out. For more information on diabetes, please visit diabetes uk website (I can't post the link here :(
  • There IS a diet based CURE out there for diabetes, including type 1!!!

This may be true for Type 2.........

But not for Type 1, its not going to magically make the pancreas start working producing insulin again :doh:

Im pretty sure if this was true, the hospital would have told us this last year when our 8 year old son was diagnosed Type 1, instead of getting us to inject him 4 times a day :o
  • John_Gray wrote: »
    .........towards 30, get an ambulance.

When we took our 8 year old son to the doctors last year, due to him drinking lots and going to the toilet just as much, he was 31.

Perfectly healthy himself apart from the drinking and weeing.

The doctor didn't seem to worried about an ambulance, just told us to take him to the hospital.

As stated before everyone is different.
  • when my gp suspected i had diabetes i had to have a glucose tolerence test which is far more accurate than a finger test,as it turns out i have type 2 but well controlled with meds,the only 2 things i cut out was chocolate and fizzy drinks
  • surfboard2
    surfboard2 Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can you just walk in and have it done?

Might do this tomorrow...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts