What Boiler do I have? Pay monthly plans or new boiler? HELP

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You may have some difficulty finding an RGI who is willing to fit a boiler supplied by you. If there are problems after install, you will be in a classic 3 cornered fight between manufacturer/retailer, installer and owner, where each party blames the other. That cannot happen if you get the installer to supply-he will also be able to get trade discounts ad incentives which you do not have access to.
    But why not just fix the sticky 3 port valve, which might cost you no more than £40?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • After ringing 4 plumbers/gas fitters ONE turned up today. I would like some advice on his price and recommendations. The boiler he recommended was Viessmann Vitodens 100-1 compact it comes with a 5 year warranty on parts and labour and 10 year warranty on the stainless steel heat exchanger. I need 5 radiator thermostats which I don't have, also asked for a new timer/control as mine is so old fashioned. The pipes that run from my cylinder in the airing cupboard are 10mm and apparantly these should be 22mm so need changing/repiping. I'm not sure why he has priced for a pump?? I have copied in a quote he has provided, any suggestions would be welcome in preparation for the other two (hopefully) guys coming on Monday.

Here is your quote for your new boiler installation

Viessmann 13Kw condensing boiler (5year parts and labour guarantee)

Honeywell controls (programmer, cylinder stat and 3 port valve)

Grundfos 15-50 pump

5 xTRV’s fitted to radiators

Increase gas supply to boiler

Re-Pipe circuits to cylinder

Remove old boiler and make good Brickwork

Total Price Inc Vat £2000.00
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Where on earth do you live to be quoted such a low price?
  • macman
    Forumite
    What rating is your current boiler? 13kW is the lowest rating available on that model-is it sufficient for your property? No mention of a room 'stat-do you already have one?
    Presumably he considers that the existing pump is not up to the job-changing it when he's doing the other work adds little more than the cost of the pump.
    Is this installer GSR?
  • I have no idea what my current rating is on my boiler, but I only live in a 2 bed detached bungalow and it is very small, only 6 radiators. I have a thermostat in my hall and it is fairly new a digital one he said that didn't need replacing and my cylinder is fine. He is GSR and is on the website. I live in Northwich and the guy was from Winsford seemed honest enough guy and seemed to know what he was talking about, said he has a Viessmann too and I was welcome to come and look at it. The programmer, I don't know what sort but I said I wanted one that I didn't have to programme daily, e.g. like the old 'circular' ones. Is this a good price? I'm going to print it out and show it to the other two on Monday so I have something to go off.
  • He didn't say anything about cleaning out the system, although I will email him to ask about this. I did ask about the cylinder which he looked at and he went up the loft to check out the pipework. He said that the cylinder seemed absolutely fine and looking at the rest of the work/bungalw, he thinks that the cylinder may have been replaced at some point since the house was built. He was baffled why they had reduced the 22mm pipework to 10mm but this bungalow seems to have been built from leftovers and I have had similar questions asked about odd things done with wiring and other things! I was suprised you are saying it is low as I thought it was alot but then I had no idea of what sort of prices for this work. It's good to know at least I'm not being ripped off!
  • OK, right, I emailed the guy that gave me the price for 2k and asked if this was negotiable, this is before you all said it was a good price, y'know tring to moneysave and this was the response:

Hi Rachel i was going to have another person with me for 2 days which is what i think it would take so i could drop him and do it myself for about 1800 and change the programmer and controls for a different make.

So what do you all think, £1800 is this a good price or would you stick with the Honeywell controls for £2k??
  • OK, right, I emailed the guy that gave me the price for 2k and asked if this was negotiable, this is before you all said it was a good price, y'know tring to moneysave and this was the response:

Hi Rachel i was going to have another person with me for 2 days which is what i think it would take so i could drop him and do it myself for about 1800 and change the programmer and controls for a different make.

So what do you all think, £1800 is this a good price or would you stick with the Honeywell controls for £2k??

Good evening:
    Too cheap for the specification as detailed by you regardless of your location in the UK. In addition, your CH system would benefit from a magnetic filter eg. Spirotrap Magnabooster 2. Ensure your RGI follows manufacturer's installation specifications, completes the Benchmark and notifies the installation to Building Control (usually via GSR).

Btw.. the Viessmann Vitodens 100 is an excellent choice.;)

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    I don't think any of us are doubting the boiler choice, but I would stick with Honeywell controls.

If he was going to have another chap with him for 2 days, that means he thinks it is a 3-4 day job for one man. Take the VAT off (£1800) and that leaves a price of £1532.

Now he may be a genuine bloke, but, I can't see how he can do it for that price.
  • macman
    Forumite
    No mention of flushing the existing system, without which presumably the Viessmann warranty is invalid-you really do need to check that point with him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport