Brown versus white UPVC windows

2»

Comments

• Bonbon
    Bonbon Posts: 564 Forumite
    When I asked about brown windows a couple of years ago I was told they are about 20% more.
  • cazlina
    cazlina Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi we've had quotes from 3 different window companies recently and they have all said 20% extra for brown windows.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    It's not just a question of brown or white! My parents' neighbours had black upvc frames with white beading round the glass to match the paint scheme they used to have. They also had the proportions of the windows made to the original pattern with the same number/size of panes, and even had the upper part made re-using the stained glass lights from the originals. I suspect they paid significantly more than they would have done for the cheapest option....
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone :)
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    brown ones don't fade or show discolouring , white ones do discolour if you don't keep them clean , i had brown on the outside and white inside after doing work for one of my customers and seeing that their brown windows still look new after 10yrs , i don't believe they cost a lot more ,
  • Plasterer
    Plasterer Posts: 819 Forumite
    nickj wrote: »
    brown ones don't fade or show discolouring , white ones do discolour if you don't keep them clean , i had brown on the outside and white inside after doing work for one of my customers and seeing that their brown windows still look new after 10yrs , i don't believe they cost a lot more ,

Depends whther the winows have been made from virgin materials or recycled plastics. The recycled ones discolour easier/quicker than ones made with virgin materials. :)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    nickj wrote: »

They certainly do fade badly in south facing environments.
  • AndysDad
    AndysDad Posts: 694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some people don't get a choice.We have been told that we have to have brown frames.They seem to be about 15-20% dearer.Not quite sure what would happen if we ignored advice as I don't know if they can force you to put in brown frames.
  • jenhugs
    jenhugs Posts: 302 Forumite
    Just to join in the debate as I have had a quote today for oak windows. They are about 20% dearer. I actually prefer the oak effect windows on the older houses I have 2 large bays and had quote for 2.8k with a smaller window. What does everyone think that was 1.3k for bottom bay and 1.2 k for top.
  • decsdad
    decsdad Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got windows for a flat I let out a few years ago and the company we went with said it cost same for white or brown, we went for white.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure