How to arrange wedding abroad??

I had my sister on the phone tonight asking if i knew anything about how to arrange a wedding abroad. I am completely clueless, i dont even know how to arrange a wedding here. I told her that if she went directly through a tour operator she would have to pay a fortune. So does anyone have any ideas?
A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.

Comments

• treacle
    treacle Posts: 251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It all depends where you want to go. I've been looking at this for myself. Most tour operators do wedding packages, however many don't actually charge any extra for the wedding bit as long as you are staying in a hotel for a minimum number of nights. When they do charge packages are anything between £300 - £1000 and include all your basic legal requirements, registrar, bouquet, buttonhole, basic photo package and decorated venue. You can arrange for any extras at the resort. Different hotels have different incentives so get a few brochures.

If you were looking at something more unusual (our friends got married in Florence last year) then speak to a wedding co-ordinator who deals with marriages abroad.
  • rainee
    rainee Posts: 454 Forumite
    sandles do free weddings as long as you are staying there deff worth a look
  • JULIE
    JULIE Posts: 210 Forumite
    we got married in Dominican Republic.

All costs were included in the wedding package so no faffing with flowers,cake,buttonholes,transport etc

the most awkward thing with dom rep is all the paper work.. all birth certificates, deed poll (changed name back to maiden name as previously married),decree absolute and other bits all needed to be countersigned by solicitor and certified by our people then by dominican consulate all at a cost as well as having topay for documents to be translated officially but other friends of mine have been married abroad with no hassle at all
    "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...
    until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
  • gizmos
    gizmos Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    was married in Antigua and was painless - first time for both of us so no need for any extra paperwork. Be prepared to take one day out of the holiday to do the official paper work and also make sure you meet hte minimum time in the country before marriage - usually 7 days
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We got married in Barbados in December . We booked the hotel as a package but then emailed the hotel and booked the wedding directly with them. We also upgraded rooms directly with the hotel .The wedding cost was 600US ( about £400) and then we booked our own photographer from the net.
    We found that wedding holiday brochures had inflated prices so avoided them , but they did have good info.
    Barbados has no minimum stay . Some say its more expensive than Dom Rep but I didnt think it was expensive there.
    Meal for 6 with wine after wedding was £150.
    Total cost of wedding ( not including dress ) was well less tha a grand.
    Best is now we are married Im saving £500 a year on the car insurance !
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    We looked at several locations and done most of our research online, using Tripadvisor and Google to point us in the right direction. We planned well ahead, about 8/9 months, looked at at least half a dozen options and then finally plumped for the wedding capital of the world - Las Vegas. The wedding chapels all have planners and you can tailor the wedding to suit yourself.
  • scooper
    scooper Posts: 986 Forumite
    hi bestyman
    can you tell me who you used and where about you stayed,we are looking to get married abroad and this sounds perfect for us
    appreciate what you have got x
  • scooper
    scooper Posts: 986 Forumite
    just on that subject as i said we are looking to do it but just with me and other half and 2 kids as my parents cant or should i say wont fly so we will be on our own,in saying that,his parents can and would probably want to come so im in a dileama there really,dont want my parents not to be there but i also wouldnt like it if it was just his there,so i think its best just to do it on our own really,but i also feel bad on other half
    how would this work with someone to be witnesses,will someone from the hotel just step in and what kind of after the wedding would we arrange if our little party was so small
    any advice would be great!
    appreciate what you have got x
  • My daughter got married in New York, very simple and very cheap - mainly because they didn't have a reception or guests but she loved it - said it was totally romantic and surreal and they had a fantastic few days there as well.

She'll be a great MSE'er because she thinks spending money on weddings is a total waste and would rather invest it in a home, she combined her holiday with her wedding and the picture of her and her husband on the giant piano in FAO Schwartz with the biggest grins on their faces, and ice skating on her wedding day says it all.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    Snooper, I have pmed you some details.
    The amaryllis did provide witnesses for free if you needed them .
    Once youve read the reviews
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147266-d278091-Reviews-Amaryllis_Beach_Resort-Christ_Church_Barbados.html
    and possibly asked around on the forums and if you want pictures of the wedding and the hotel just let me know.

amaryllis also has web site https://www.amaryllisbeachresort.com

We loved the place but some reviews say its terrible, very strange. There are better places to get married in Barbados but considering the cost we thought it was great.

Dominican Republic Ive heard is cheaper then Barbados so you could look into this. The main reason we got married in Barbados was that our cruise ship for the honeymoon sailed from there .

edit. wedding deal here http://www.amaryllisbeachresort.com/weddings.htm

but we got photos from https://www.barbadosphotogallery.com
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure