Spare car keys

I Just bought a Fiat Punto, and It only came with one Key, I'd like to have a second in case of any little key related mishaps but on trying to get one cut at the local key cutting place they told me that I had to go to the main dealer who are the only ones who can do it. On speaking to the dealer they have told me its going to cos me about £110/115 to get a new key sorted. :eek:

Does this sound right? As to me it sounds like a stupid amount to pay to get a key cut, are there any ways of getting a key cut cheaper?

Help!!

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You shouldn't really have bought a car with only one key! It's not just the fact of getting it cut, it will probably have to be programed to match the car. If you bought from a dealer, go back to them.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763
    Forumite
    Go to Timpsons. I would think they could help.

They will cut a basic key for you. It won't have remote locking on etc for you, but it should open the doors and start it ...

Mind you, depends on the model of the Punto...
  • espresso
    Forumite
    highguyuk wrote:
    Go to Timpsons. I would think they could help.

They will cut a basic key for you. It won't have remote locking on etc for you, but it should open the doors and start it ...

Mind you, depends on the model of the Punto...

Not if it has an immobiliser/transponder in the key!

:rolleyes:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • I had this with an old car. my replacement cost was going to be only £60.00.

I found the the low cost was to replace with an new lock and keys. this cost only £ 8.00
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040
    Forumite
    How old is your punto? We have one that is a T which is central locking by the driver door and there is an immobiliser in the key -the fiat red key scheme--you can now get places which have kind of computer chipped reader things that read your key and programme it -I did this and it cost £25. It was a shoe repair place that had recently bought the latest key technology stuff so they might have the same at Timpsons.

I once had a very distressing time having broken a key in the door with the fiat dealer trying to hold me to ransom -my dad got his local garage to sort it for £100 with two new keys! I would never trust anything the Fiat garage said now or for that matter probably any main dealer without a second opinion.
  • cannyscot_2
    cannyscot_2 Posts: 1,040
    Forumite
    espresso wrote:
    You shouldn't really have bought a car with only one key! It's not just the fact of getting it cut, it will probably have to be programed to match the car. If you bought from a dealer, go back to them.

I don't think that is very helpful!-nor the next reply

Do you work for a Fiat dealer?
  • espresso
    Forumite
    cannyscot wrote:
    I don't think that is very helpful!

Maybe not but it is a fact.

:rolleyes:
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    I had to get a new key made for our car but Timpson did that and they took care of the immobiliser chip as well :confused: There's a red chip in it so I guess they programmed it or something??

Also you want to check out where the missing key is ;) don't want some previous owner turning up thinking oh look, I'll have me a ride in my old car :rotfl:
  • espresso
    Forumite
    Congrats on passing your advanced test Crabman.

:T
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    espresso wrote:
    Congrats on passing your advanced test Crabman.

:T
    Cheers espresso :beer: :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family