Can I put a memory foam mattress topper in the washing machine?

My daughter wet the bed last night and she has a memory foam mattress topper and it has soaked everything into. Can I put it in the washing maching for a full wash with washing powder and also put it on full spin (1600 rpm)?

If not, what should I do to give it a good clean.

Thanks.

Comments

• jog
    jog Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think I'd try to wash one in the washing machine myself. When that happened to my son's one, I hung it on the washing line and hosed it down with the garden hose! then left it there to dry. Once it was almost dry I hung it over the banister indoors to finish drying.

Jog
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Thanks Jog, it's supposed to rain for all but one day of the next week so it is either going to smell the house out or sit on the line and get ruined. I was wondering if it might foam the machine up too much more than anything else. I could put it on a super rinse I suppose but I need to get it cleaned because it is wee.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would worry it would melt or rip in the machine. I certainly wouldn't try it in a home machine, you wuld need a launderette size machine to stop it folding over too much and have room to expand on the spin cycle, a bit like speeling bags which say only wash in large machines?

How about febreeze? Even if it only masks the smell for a few days until you have time to rinse and dry.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • What does it say on the label? Mine is washable, but I would probably take it to a launderette.
  • blue_monkey_2
    I've one of those bigger size machines so it'll fit OK - not as big as the launderette size but just a little smaller. It has no label on it at all but if yours is saying it can be washed then I am going to give it a go and see what happens. I'll report back later if I need a new one......!!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    I've one of those bigger size machines so it'll fit OK - not as big as the launderette size but just a little smaller. It has no label on it at all but if yours is saying it can be washed then I am going to give it a go and see what happens. I'll report back later if I need a new one......!!

NOOOOOOOOO, don't do it :eek:

you will ruin it.

I've just left a post in the other thread where you asked the same question.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Van1971 wrote: »
    What does it say on the label? Mine is washable, but I would probably take it to a launderette.

It would be the cover that is machine washable NOT the topper.
  • blue_monkey_2
    Well, it has been in and out now - sorry. It looks and feels OK still, I have nicked it where it came out of the machine but as my son has already bitten the corners off (don't ask!!) that is the least of my worries.

At least I'll remember to put the waterproof sheet on next time.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Well, it has been in and out now - sorry. It looks and feels OK still, I have nicked it where it came out of the machine but as my son has already bitten the corners off (don't ask!!) that is the least of my worries.

At least I'll remember to put the waterproof sheet on next time.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't risk it a second time. You may have also washed the fire retardent chemicals off it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure