We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Felt for shed roof and best value compost?

Hi,
I need to repair the roof on my shed as the felt was torn off by the wind a few weeks ago. Where should I look for some good value durable replacement felt? Any tips on how to fit it better so it stays on this time (I had built the shed myself when new)?

Also, I am looking for good value quality compost and bark for my garden. I have been buying from Wickes but was wondering whether there were cheaper suppliers of quality compost.
I have a compost bin which I have been filling for 18 months now but it is still not full/ready so I still need to get it from elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Felt is a similar price in all the DIY sheds and you'll pay more for thicker quality, of course. I look for a damaged roll & haggle if possible, because it's rare one needs the whole amount. :D

If you use a bitumen type roofing mastic under the felt it will stick to the roof and not lift as easily, and you should put this gunge under overlaps too before nailing them.

Good quality sheds usually come with battens to fix over large expanses of felt to reduce lifting too, but you may not have these if yours is a cheap shed. You can use door stop timber. These should be nailed through into the roof support timbers, and again, a bit of mastic under them does no harm.The only decent nails for this job are galvanised ones.

Roofing a shed properly is messy, so rubber gloves may be a good idea if you are a lady, or a fussy man! ;)
  • The best value compost is the freshest delivery you can find - you will find lots of places selling off bulk stocks but if they have been standing they will most likely give you a poor return - buy small quantities from places with a good turnover
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure