Gaming for free

2»

Comments

• Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Using ScummVM, it's possible to easily play many old point-and-click adventure games (it'll even allow you to run the Windows version on your Mac or Linux box). If you go to their downloads page and scroll to the bottom you'll see there are some full games available to legally download. I particularly recommend Beneath a Steel Sky.

There are also websites, such as Home of the Underdogs, who host so called "abandonware" titles - games that are no longer sold or whose publishers no longer exist.
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Bets free game I know of is Oolite, an open souce version of Eltie. It's not multiplayer or online though.

Runs on Windows, Linux and even Mac OS X. In fact it was originally written for OS X.

Superb game for old people who want to relive their youth.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 November 2009 at 10:10PM
    mazza111 wrote: »
    Only one problem with free online pc games. You seem to get a lot of smart mouthed kiddies who haven't learned any gaming etiquette there. Sometimes they can be impossible to keep banned too because of dynamic ips :confused:

However I'm a total Enemy Territory addict and server admin for same game. Would welcome newbies to join and have some fun :j
    Well we don't get many of those over at Entropia Universe ...age limited due to a real cash economy there, but free to play and download.

AFAIK the only CryEngine2 online game for freemans.
    at the moment there's one planet in the universe...but the time has come for several others to launch now CE2 is up and the bugs ironed out. lemmy from Motorhead has one coming up http://www.rocktropia.com/rocktropia101/ and those guys who built the World islands in the gulf have one too...there are several.

The main planet has been around years http://www.planetcalypso.com/home/ but is basically being relaunched hence that second golden age thing on the homepage...that refers to uber items being found ingame until Xmas that is some cases are worth several thousand dollars ..or tens of in one case so far. The ingame currency links to the $ at 10 to 1 ratio. Mindark who run the universe just got a RL Swedish banking licence and are totally legit.

CE2 looks a lot like this ;-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPO2InkWG5o&feature=channel

It's not a game for the ones who like to hit level whatever and max it out...no-one maxes this one, it's impossible. As it's a cash economy it's possible to make money here too...not easy without putting some in, but many do it by trading and sweating and ingame services.

I think I'm probably worth more ingame than IRL right now :rotfl:

It's almost a 4 gig download ...and Ce2 isn't for weak machines ...but if anyoone fancies a look I'd be happy to show you around ingame (it's easier with help at first to find your feet ) . I've been there for over 3 years now.

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Marty_J wrote: »

There are also websites, such as Home of the Underdogs, who host so called "abandonware" titles - games that are no longer sold or whose publishers no longer exist.

Thanks for that, thought hotu had simply disappeared forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure