The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    2010 wrote: »
    Considering they bang the drum about looking after their members and have no shareholders to pay out to, the loyalty rates are pretty poor.
    15 years a member and they give you 2.6%, very generous.

Where else can you get 2.6% instant access at the moment?
    2010 Posts: 5,329
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    rb10 wrote: »
    Where else can you get 2.6% instant access at the moment?

I could get it with them but you couldn`t unless you`ve been a member for fifteen years.

The point I`m making is for all their banging of the mutuality drum, they are and have been one of the worse providers as regards saving rates.

They would have something to shout about if the 2.6% was for EVERYONE.
  • umami
    umami Posts: 794
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello
    Just checked their website and Nationwide's loyalty saver for 15yrs. membership is 2.40. Can't see 2.60 anywhere?
    Forumite
    chun wrote: »
    Hello
    Just checked their website and Nationwide's loyalty saver for 15yrs. membership is 2.40. Can't see 2.60 anywhere?

Looks like they`ve chopped it already.

Crap rate for 15 years loyalty and a crap building society with overpaid directors.

I`ve only got a fiver with them and that`s how it will stay until they pay a decent rate.
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    chun wrote: »
    Hello
    I think 2.6 is for Issue 1, the current issue is 2.4 for 15 years, issue 2.
  • AndyJ52
    AndyJ52 Posts: 77
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What on earth is going on with savings rates at the moment?
    I've been somewhat out of the arena for much of this year looking after an ailing father. Now, most of my 'high interest', instant access accounts are coming to the end of their bonus period and the rates are dropping through the floor. No change there then! However, the rates on new accounts currently on offer are so incredibly low they're hardly attractive are they?
    I'm sure that none of this is news to any of you stalwart savings types.... but what are you guys doing with your cash savings at the moment. Are there ANY decent accounts out there, or is 2.5% to barely 3% (with strings) all that's available these days?
    Any pointers, if you have them, as to where to stash the cash would be much appreciated - or are you all deeply pi**ed off too!

Thanks in advance AndyJ
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AndyJ52 wrote: »
    what are you guys doing with your cash savings at the moment.

For the most part, I'm reducing my cash allocation. What I do hold is in a combination of a one year account at 3.6%, instant access at 3.1% (for now!), some modest cash ISAs at 4% (for now!) and NS&I Index Linked bonds.

As for pointers, it's a case of looking out for deals as they come along or consider equities and bonds. However, even these are a bit skinny on the yield right now unless you move up the risk spectrum.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    Forumite
    Are there ANY decent accounts out there, or is 2.5% to barely 3% (with strings) all that's available these days?
    Any pointers, if you have them, as to where to stash the cash would be much appreciated - or are you all deeply pi**ed off too!

Thanks in advance AndyJ

If the "experts" at the BoE are daft enough to cut the rate to .25%, savings rates will go even lower.

The BoE has tried everything from cutting rates to the bone and printing billions of pounds.
    They need to keep people spending to try to help the economy.
    Now they`ve targeted savers by giving the banks cheap money so they in turn needn`t pay very much above the current 2.5% average.

The BoE are hoping that savers get so p*ssed off that they just go out and spend their money to keep the economy afloat.

The way things are now you might as well put it all in premium bonds.
    No use fixing it because if anything half decent does come along (some hope) you need to pounce instantly.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by chun
    Hello
    chris1 wrote: »
    I think 2.6 is for Issue 1, the current issue is 2.4 for 15 years, issue 2.

Issue 1 closed today it seems, and issue 2 is 2.0 2.2 and 2.4% :(
  • Zekko
    Zekko Posts: 208 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2012 at 6:33PM
    What on earth is going on with savings rates at the moment?
    I've been somewhat out of the arena for much of this year looking after an ailing father. Now, most of my 'high interest', instant access accounts are coming to the end of their bonus period and the rates are dropping through the floor. No change there then! However, the rates on new accounts currently on offer are so incredibly low they're hardly attractive are they?
    I'm sure that none of this is news to any of you stalwart savings types.... but what are you guys doing with your cash savings at the moment. Are there ANY decent accounts out there, or is 2.5% to barely 3% (with strings) all that's available these days?

Thanks in advance AndyJ

I have some regular savers (4%) and an instant access account (3.15%), but the bonus rates are due to finish sometime around April 2013. Since I already have Lloyds Vantage accounts for the 4% and a Santander First Home Saver paying 3%, there aren't many other better options available atm. Hopefully the savings rates will improve a bit by next Spring - though I'm not holding my breath. :undecided
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback