South West Trains compensation claim

2»

Comments

• geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    albo2002 wrote: »
    does anyone know how you actually get a refund off SWT?

I renewed my annual season ticket at the beginning of the month and was told to come back in a week to claim refunds for problems over the previous year.

I came back a week later and was told I need to come back in two weeks!

Now I've looked at their compensation claim page, it says I have to do it in writing and within 28 days of the event occuring.

Completely baffled :(

Write to them. All the information is on their website which i struggle to understand why you didnt even to think to look at.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • albo2002
    albo2002 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Write to them. All the information is on their website which i struggle to understand why you didnt even to think to look at.

:rotfl:

You obviously haven't read the SWT site lately - all their information is absolutely not on their website!

I've now been emailed by SWT saying that I can claim a refund from June 30 and I should do this via my local station.

Their website says nothing about June 30 and says you have to write to them :wall:
  • geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    albo2002 wrote: »
    :rotfl:

You obviously haven't read the SWT site lately - all their information is absolutely not on their website!

So this isnt on their website ?
    How to make a claim
    Please complete a Comments Form available at any South West Trains ticket office or from our Customer Service Centre and send it to our Customer Service Centre (address shown below) To help speed up your claim, please enclose your travel tickets or proof of purchase. Claims for compensation must be made within 28 days of the expiry of the ticket. We will also accept direct correspondence to our Customer Service Centre.
    Customer Service Centre
    South West Trains
    Overline House
    Blechynden Terrace
    Southampton
    SO15 1GW

And all the information relating to season tickets discount threshold is not found on this link here

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/our-performance.aspx#80444

And their passenger charter is not found here http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/passengerscharter.aspx which doesnt have this under the heading of compensation for delays or cancellations on monthly or longer season tickets?
    Monthly or longer Season Tickets
    There are two different types of compensation available for Monthly or longer Season Ticket holders. These are:
    Passenger's Charter: applies if over a period of 12 months we have failed to meet our Passenger's Charter standard.
    Void Period: applies to a specific Service Group if a peak period has been severely disrupted.
    Passenger's Charter compensation
    These are our Passenger's Charter standards for train service performance:
    Mainline Suburban

Punctuality 89% 92%
    Reliability 99% 99%

We aim to greatly exceed these standards at all times but on some occasions, our train service may be disrupted and we may fail to meet these. We will give you a 5% discount on the price of your Season Ticket if, on average, over the previous 12 months either:
    Punctuality has been more than 2.5% below the Passenger's Charter standard, or;
    Reliability has been more than 1% below the Passenger's Charter standard.
    We will give you a 10% discount on the price of your Season Ticket if, on average, over the previous 12 months both punctuality and reliability fall below these Passenger's Charter standards.
    If the monthly average performance figure falls below these Passenger's Charter standards, we will provide Passenger's Charter compensation, which will be given to you as a discount off the price of your renewed Season Ticket.
    See here for a record of our train service performance or on Track Record posters at stations. Delays and cancellations that are caused by incidents beyond the control of the rail industry are not included in our performance results.
    This includes:
    Force majeure (for example a security alert)
    Extreme weather
    Fatality or suicide
    Gross vandalism
    Actions by third parties
    If we have published in advance an emergency timetable or alternative route.
    If trains are cancelled or delayed because of these reasons, we will display the number of trains affected on Track Record posters.
    To claim your Passenger's Charter compensation, you must renew your Season Ticket within four weeks of your previous ticket's expiry. Your new ticket must be for the same journey and for the same or a shorter period of time.
    However, if you are changing your Season Ticket to cover an alternative route, a longer distance or longer period on a South West Trains journey, or upgrading your journey from Standard to First Class, the discount applied will relate to your previous ticket held. Please contact our Customer Service Centre for further advice.
    Please note that where your journey involves travelling on more than one train company, you will only be able to claim from one of those companies. Please ask at the ticket office or call our Customer Service Centre to find out which Passenger's Charter scheme is relevant to your journey.
    Void Period compensation
    If the performance of our train service falls below an acceptable level during a peak period, it will be declared 'Void' for the Service Groups that are affected. We will provide proportionate compensation for any Void Period. When you renew or surrender your Season Ticket, our ticket office staff will apply any Void Period compensation to which you are entitled. You will be given a Void Period compensation application form, which you can complete and submit with your expired Season Ticket. The compensation will be given to you as a discount off the price of your renewed Season Ticket or as a cash payment if you prefer.
    Travelcard Season Tickets
    If you bought a Travelcard* valid for one month or longer from one of our ticket offices or our Customer Service Centre and you normally travel on South West Trains services, you will also be able to claim one of the discounts detailed in the Passenger's Charter compensation section above.
    If you bought your Travelcard** from anywhere other than a South West Trains outlet, we will consider your claim if you have proof that you use South West Trains for all or part of your journey (for example, a home or work address close to a South West Trains station and details of the journey you make). Please write to our Customer Service Centre if making a claim, enclosing your old ticket together with a photocopy of your new ticket.
    * This applies to either traditional paper tickets with a magnetic strip or Oyster cards where you are able to produce your Annual Season Ticket record card or your receipt for Monthly or longer Season Tickets.

** We cannot offer compensation for Travelcards issued on an Oyster card if it was not bought at a South West Trains outlet.

Im AMAZED that they do not store this information on their website. I think you should write in to the address you cant find on their website and let them know that they should update their website so that you can find the relevant information on there and maybe they will update it for you.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • albo2002
    albo2002 Posts: 252 Forumite
    As stated, to get the refund I had to wait until June 30 and go to a station ticket office to get it, as per the advice on their email (which is what I did do and that's how I got the refund).

What you've pasted from their website 'Claims for compensation must be made within 28 days of the expiry of the ticket' (which I discovered from the ticket office is not actually true for any compensation claim for them anyway) and 'send it to our Customer Service Centre' contradicts the above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure