Upgrading to Halifax Current Account

Hi,
I currently have a Yorkshire Bank Readycash account which I've had about 9 months and a Halifax easycash account for about 5 months.

I initially got the Halifax account for Ryanair and easyjet flights to save on the card charges, now I've opened another easycash account and I'm looking to upgrade my exisiting account to a current account.

Does anyone know the criteria for doing this? I was accidentally overdrawn by £5 unauthorised a few months back which was paid back the same day too.

Comments

• PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    I would give it 6 months after the o/d amount
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have no other Current a/cs, then 6-12 months. However, it might be better to go for an easier to get current a/c such as Nationwide (you need to open a savings a/c) in the first place and use that as a stepping stone to get more "advanced" current a/c.
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    lufcgirl wrote: »
    Hi,
    I currently have a Yorkshire Bank Readycash account which I've had about 9 months and a Halifax easycash account for about 5 months.

I initially got the Halifax account for Ryanair and easyjet flights to save on the card charges, now I've opened another easycash account and I'm looking to upgrade my exisiting account to a current account.

Does anyone know the criteria for doing this? I was accidentally overdrawn by £5 unauthorised a few months back which was paid back the same day too.

Hiya

You cannot upgrade an easycash to a current account within halifax. You need to apply for a current account (use online banking) but to be honest they are not that great as a bank......

I had an easycash with them for 2yrs and the never let me have a full account even though i'd never gone overdrawn and paid in over £5k mer month. They just kept saying no - obviously you have NO internal behaviour score when you try to upgrade from basic to full current account.

Some banks apparently report basic accounts to the credit agency but I think if challenged, it would change because you do not sign a credit agreement with a basic account so they cannot report to the CRA's..... anyway, this kinda explains why an instant upgrade should not be allowed either as the terms would be different and so a new agreement would have to be signed.
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • never-in-doubt
    td_007 wrote: »
    If you have no other Current a/cs, then 6-12 months. However, it might be better to go for an easier to get current a/c such as Nationwide (you need to open a savings a/c) in the first place and use that as a stepping stone to get more "advanced" current a/c.

Mate Nationwide is one of the harder accounts to get. I'm no fan of HBOS but they are reasonably easy to get, when you're not me of course :rotfl::rotfl:

• td_007
    Mate Nationwide is one of the harder accounts to get. I'm no fan of HBOS but they are reasonably easy to get, when you're not me of course :rotfl::rotfl:

I was stuck with Easycash for 8 months with Halifax refusing to either upgrade or open a "proper" current a/c. Walked into Nationwide, all sorted out in half an hour and online access in a week! (This was a few years ago must say). But once I had Nationwide current a/c, Halifax bent over backwards to give me the then high interest current a/c in 2-3 weeks time and later 3 reward a/cs!
  • never-in-doubt
    td_007 wrote: »
    I was stuck with Easycash for 8 months with Halifax refusing to either upgrade or open a "proper" current a/c. Walked into Nationwide, all sorted out in half an hour and online access in a week! (This was a few years ago must say). But once I had Nationwide current a/c, Halifax bent over backwards to give me the then high interest current a/c in 2-3 weeks time and later 3 reward a/cs!

Yea I remember you saying they gave you 3 reward accounts - its sods law...... I reckon they just dont give people with an easycash account a full account - period!

Best to wait til its been closed for 6mths and then reapply for a full account, that seems to work in most cases.

• gazelle8760
    gazelle8760 Posts: 259 Forumite

They must have been on a "Freebie" basis then, when The Gazelle applied, as looking at some of the past posts else where, and the Credit Scores people claim to have, and cannot get basic facilities with scores as high as 725etc, and my score is no way even close to that, and I was accepted immediately for a Flex Account, with overdraft as well, and a week after their Credit Card, so surely this must be pot-luck?:confused:

As for The Halifax....................I'd rather have swine flu.
  • td_007
    Yea I remember you saying they gave you 3 reward accounts - its sods law...... I reckon they just dont give people with an easycash account a full account - period!

I still have the Easycash a/c btw - I use it for dummy switches of SOs and bill payments icon10.gif

I think it is just that they want to see if someone else will give you a current a/c before giving you one themselves - why? no idea. It is it the norm? No idea. At least thats what happened in my case:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure