Does chocolate go off?

Options
tbourner
tbourner Posts: 1,434 Forumite
I'm normally the person who eats anything, no matter the date, I use my nose and other senses to tell me if it's OK. However we found a Galaxy chocolate selection box, all sealed but all with a best before date of March 2007!!
I've tried a couple of minstrels and they seem OK if a little odd tasting - ie: not at their 'best'. And the Promises Caramel Crunch has definitely gone from crunch to goo.
So is 5 years a bit too long? I hate wasting food.
Trev. Having an out-of-money experience!
C'MON! Let's get this debt sorted!!

Comments

• zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you've misunderstood the idea behind this particular section, but no matter.

Chocolate does go off, but at worst that would make it taste unpalatable. You may find that the milk solids will separate and leave a white dusty coating, but this is harmless and not mold as some people believe.

If the chocolate tastes OK, then eat it.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • tbourner
    tbourner Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah I wasn't sure where to put this, found this section searching and it had some other use-by date threads in it.
    Trev. Having an out-of-money experience!
    C'MON! Let's get this debt sorted!!
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, and the separating solids thing often happens if you bring chocolate back on a plane.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure