Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 Timing Chain Recall?

I drive an 04 plate Vauxhall Corsa Club 1.0 Twinport. It has 49k on the clock and is still under finance with GE Motor Finance.

It is now 2 days out of it's warranty and I noticed a rather loud clicking noise from the engine bay, it was serviced and MOT'd on Friday (not at Vauxhall) and it has been into Vauxhall on Thursday for new tyres and there was no mention of either garage noticing any noise.

I took it into my local garage who said it is almost certainly the timing chain, apparently a common and known fault on Corsas up to 05 reg and then they were replaced by a belt and apparently they were recalled last year for checks.

I bought mine from Vauxhall main dealer in October 2004 and have always had it serviced at Vauxhall at 20k and 40k and this service, a year after my 40k service was at a local garage.

I was never informed of a recall and if there has been one, would I still be able to take mine to a Vauxhall garage.

Also, do I have any rights as the car is still under finance?

My garage has said they can repair it for £300 but he has said if I want to take it to Vauxhall they may charge me up to £1000!!

Does anyone know of the Corsa recall that was supposedly done in May 2006, I can find some unofficial information but nothing official.

Any help please!
DM x
£2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
£1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145

Comments

• pmcx9
    pmcx9 Posts: 169 Forumite
    i had a 53 plate 1.0 corsa and had the timing belt done under recall but have since sold the car.

surely a vauxhall garage will chase it up for you with GM as it is business for them?
  • dexters_mum_2
    dexters_mum_2 Posts: 860 Forumite
    First Post
    I would hope so, I do intend to call Vauxhall in the morning but looking around on forums, the 04 plate seems to have either had little publicity about it's recall or it hasn't been recalled but I can find recalls for the 53 plate, 54 plate and the 05 plate regarding the timing chain?

Thanks for your reply, it certainly helps me in trying to piece together the recall pattern.
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
  • gladysrocker
    gladysrocker Posts: 232 Forumite
    I had an 04 plate corsa up until a few weeks ago and we did get a letter about a recall, but I seem to remember it was for a wiring harness fault, not the timing chain.
  • sharoo
    sharoo Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have an '53 Corsa and have had a recall for both the wiring harness and the timing chain.
  • I've got a 03 plate corsa sxi and the timing chain needs doing. Does anyone know if 03 plates were recalled too as i bought it 2nd hand and havent heard anything? If not, any ideas how much its going to set me back?

Cheers
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Ask any vauxhall garage, they will soon look it up on the 'puter and tell you. Some sneaky ones will even ask you to pay for diagnosis - but why should you pay for diagnosis when its a sodding recall...

also it was mainly the 1.0 chains that were failing along with the oil pumps...
  • I drive an 04 plate Vauxhall Corsa Club 1.0 Twinport. It has 49k on the clock and is still under finance with GE Motor Finance.

It is now 2 days out of it's warranty and I noticed a rather loud clicking noise from the engine bay, it was serviced and MOT'd on Friday (not at Vauxhall) and it has been into Vauxhall on Thursday for new tyres and there was no mention of either garage noticing any noise.

I took it into my local garage who said it is almost certainly the timing chain, apparently a common and known fault on Corsas up to 05 reg and then they were replaced by a belt and apparently they were recalled last year for checks.

I bought mine from Vauxhall main dealer in October 2004 and have always had it serviced at Vauxhall at 20k and 40k and this service, a year after my 40k service was at a local garage.

I was never informed of a recall and if there has been one, would I still be able to take mine to a Vauxhall garage.

Also, do I have any rights as the car is still under finance?

My garage has said they can repair it for £300 but he has said if I want to take it to Vauxhall they may charge me up to £1000!!

Does anyone know of the Corsa recall that was supposedly done in May 2006, I can find some unofficial information but nothing official.

Any help please!
    DM x

Hi, I have a corsa 1.0 o4 and have the same problem with the timing chain knocking noise. Its very annoying and I am at the moment almost stranded from any significant journeys in case I do more harm to the engine. I have emailed Vauxhall and awaiting a reply to see what is the outcome of my question about not having a recall on the car. I guess there are thousands that don't know and therefore foot the bill themselves. I owned the previous model and had a recall on that, I think it was something to do with a seat belt or something...Heres hoping. Cheers. M
  • xnikkix
    xnikkix Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting thread. I think I'll call Vauxhall on Monday to see if my 53 1.0 was ever done as it has a knocking sound especially when the engine has run for awhile. Also can't get my engine management light to stay off for longer than three weeks. Cleaning the 02 sensors so far hasn't helped.
  • Boozer
    Boozer Posts: 340 Forumite
    I have a VX220, i got new rear alloys on a 6 year old car as it was a safety recall, and as i am selling it now i put it in for inspection and they said it had a recall outstanding, but i phoned the recall people(0118 9458500) and they confirmed that all recalls had been done, give them a phone and they can tell you if any recalls are outstanding.

EDIT: i really must start to read thread dates
  • I have a Corsa not long bought it and wonder should I get onto Vauxhall to see if it has been recalled or needs to be will a Vauxhall agent know if it has been done . . .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure