How much does it cost to keep a cat?

Comments

• Judi101
    Judi101 Posts: 134 Forumite
    I'd agree with all the posters who recommened you get a cat from a rescue centre. Ours came from the RSPCA and she's fab. She eats half a tin of cat food a day and we go through a large bag of dry stuff (Asda's best!) about every 2/3 months. She goes to the vets once a year for injections, worming etc and that costs about £40. She hates using the litter tray so we havent the cost for that and we wont allow her to eat our dinner scraps (good way to lose the food you have prepared for dinner that way). I'd guess unless you are getting an old cat they can be as expensive as you want them to be. Get one and enjoy.
  • rach1973
    rach1973 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies they have been very helpful.

We have decided to wait until our Youngest is 2 years old in August - then he is old enough to understand what a cat is and what he can and cannot do.

Thanks again....I will take all into consideration.

Rachel
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    hi rach,,it costs a heart to keep a cat, cos you definately lose yours to it.

lots of luck!

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Piiaaa
    Piiaaa Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Go to this link to get £5 off Dr Hill's cat food.... It's supposed to be one of the best...... my kitten loves it!

http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/_refacing/promotion/EuropeCouponLanding.jsp?promotionName=UkPromoInstore_12395
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    By mistake bought a 'sausage' of dog food instead of regular cat food. Bubbles loves it.29p from Lidl. Should last the week.
  • My cat came from the Blue Cross 3 years ago and cost £40. Annual jabs/wormer/MOT is £40ish, £10 a month for food, Hills (he's sick on anything else!)
    Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There is lots of fabulous advice in this thread. I'd like to add a few of my thoughts though.

Some people have mentioned collars - and it's true that lots of people do like their cat to wear one, if only for the bell which scares the birds away when they are about to be jumped on. Personally I am against collars, even those which have a piece of elastic, or which are designed to come apart should kitty get caught by it. The most useful thing to do is have kitty injected with a microchip. Most vets these days have these available. They are a one time spend, about £15. The advantage is that if kitty is separated from you for any reason then cat rescue centres and vets can scan the animal and send the number from the pet to the identichip database holders to track you down. This is so much more peace of mind than a collar. A friend of mine used to complain that kids stole her pet's collars, even those which had a tag with her number on, so that's worth bearing in mind too.

The other thing I would recommend wholeheartedly to you is to not feed tinned cat food. It does terrible things to cats' teeth. I had to have my now departed kitties go through several operations to have teeth removed just because of the food I gave them. The best thing is a good quality dry cat food. Iams have a bit of bad reputation lingering, but Hill's Science food is very good. It seems expensive - my current two beasties eat it - they love it, they are in perfect health with perfect teeth. They are the correct weight for their ages and they don't eat very much of it, so it lasts a long time, works out about 30p per day per cat. I keep it in a great big tupperware box which I got from Dunelm Mills for £2.50 so it doesn't go stale. Occasionally they get fresh meat (raw or cooked), and sometimes fish eg tinned tuna or sardines in water - but never ever wet cat food...it is vile what it does to their teeth in the long run. And they only ever get tap water to drink.

Perhaps, if you think you will definitely get a cat, you could put a "wanted" note on Freecycle for a cat carry box (essential for vet trips), an unneeded scratch post, dishes and so on. That should save you a few pounds if you get some of the necessary bits before August - https://www.freecycle.org. Argos is one of the cheapest places around for pet hardware if you prefer brand new.

I love my cats so much. "Love me love my cats" - I could never be without them, they are wonderful. You'll enjoy being a kitty mom.
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    my cat salem is an indoor cat - he is sooo fussy but lovely....he has his own bedroom with full mod cons;- enclosed toilet/bed/dishes/toys/climbing post/scratch post....

he only eats whiskas dry tuna variety and every 3rd day he gets a treat of tuna imperial by hi-life....loves it.....he wont drink milk but loves water and loves to play in water and splash you with it lol.....

i worm him twice a year with him being an indoor cat - use bob martins at £5 a box for 2 doses.....he uses flea shampoo - bob martens that lasts forever as he only gets a bath twice a year (if he doesnt need it lol)....

the joy cats bring are enormous but also watch out as they are very unpredictable like dogs they too can bite and scratch so watch your tot doesnt treat him/her rough - teach them to love him but be gentle with him - i hate to see how rough some kids are with animals and their parents dont teach them.....

enjoy
  • GreenNotM
    GreenNotM Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Do not forget the cost of your cat to the environment

Cats are protected perdators - they kill millions of birds, amphibians, mammals and insects every week in the UK.

Cat litter helps to fill land fill sites.

Rach - put some bird feeders, nesting/insect boxes up in your garden, or window - encourage wildlife into your garden, let your lil one enjoy the natural world, not a barren lifeless one - destroyed by an alien hunter.
    Rich people save then spend.
    Poor people spend then save what's left.
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GreenNotM wrote:
    Do not forget the cost of your cat to the environment

Cats are protected perdators - they kill millions of birds, amphibians, mammals and insects every week in the UK.

Cat litter helps to fill land fill sites.

Rach - put some bird feeders, nesting/insect boxes up in your garden, or window - encourage wildlife into your garden, let your lil one enjoy the natural world, not a barren lifeless one - destroyed by an alien hunter.

I dislike you post intensely GreenMotM, I find it totaly offensive to both cats and humans! I have 3 cats and they do not destroy our environment in any way. Their cat little is 'Beauticat' (wood pellets) which is bio-degradable and also flushable. When I empty my cat litter it goes down the loo and washes away safely.

Cats are 'protected' as you term it to protect them from people like you who have attitudes like you have! They have freedom to roam safely without fear from attack from humans and so they should have. They are valuable members of our society and valuable members of all cat owners families.

I find loutish youths who carry knives, attack pensioners and steal their pensions, break into cars and scare lone women to death are more of a menace than lovable, cuddly, affectionate cats!

Cats keep down the mice population and the removal of such vermin is helpful to society.

You say cats kill birds etc....mine don't! They don't go out and if they did they have little bells on their collars to avoid this such occurance.

How many times do we turn on the news and hear of humans killing each other? yet you slander cats? outrageous!
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family