Kettle for use on a Wood Burning Stove

Does anybody have any recommendations for kettles which can be used on top of a wood burning stove.

Thank you

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi Mrscarney, traditionally its a flat bottom copper kettle, with a wooden or coil handle.
    If tucked for space a saucepan instead.
    You can get arty ones from John Lewis but cheaper to look around charity shops. A cheap whistler might do.
  • clairibel
    clairibel Posts: 3,657 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Bumping an old thread because i am looking for a way to put a bit of moisture in the air from our woodburner which can be quite dry, any ideas please from seasoned woodburners :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    oooh you can get some lovely cast iron kettles which are no good for actually using the water to boil but make great humidifiers

Heres some. I ordered my eco fan from them - great product - great service

My mum had an old brass thingy - like a camp stove cup - long handle - she uses that

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Evaporator tray.

A cast iron grid suspended from the ceiling or wall, above the stove. Good for storing pots, put water in a fish kettle.
  • irenee
    irenee Posts: 122 Forumite
    When I had my woodburning stove installed the first thing I did was to source an enamel kettle from Ebay (Kitchenalia)

Nice dark blue one (now with matching teapot) - when I light the stove at night, the kettle is set on top full of water - within an hour it is steaming and I fill a hot water bottle and pop it in my bed, warms it lovely for bedtime

Kettle refilled provides water for teas as needed

I have also got an small enamelled iron lidded casserole dish (ideal for stews), once winter has set in, I prepare meat and veg, started off in a pan on top of my gas cooker and then turned into the casserole dish stood on top of woodburner where it cooks gently until I'm hungry

Homemade soups are also ideal for reheating over the wood stove

I would cook on it from breakfast to supper - but I really do not need the wood burner 24/7 in the south of England - one thing I really, really miss is wood fire toast for breakfast!!
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • clairibel
    clairibel Posts: 3,657 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for all the ideas and help, I will investigate, never thought about putting stew on there in a casserole :T
  • We've got one of these sitting on our stove. My American friend made up his own advert for it along the lines of "Housewives! Tired of not having mould growing in your home? Then you need....etc etc" Basically I think the Americans, or a lot of them, have a much drier atmosphere than we do - so these things are a lot more popular over there. We just got it because we liked it - though we don't have water in it all the time.

http://www.plowhearth.com/Dragon-Woodstove-Steamer_p10119_S2002_D3050_C1039.html

Andy
  • km1423
    km1423 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Do you need a trivet to stand the kettle on, or can you use it directly on top of your stove(solid fuel appliance) - worried in case I mark my appliance and will have explaining to do

If you want loyalty - get a dog:rotfl::rotfl:

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2011 at 6:11PM
    Use mine directly on top of the stove for 2 years without any marks. Would advise drying the bottom of the kettle if its wet especially if you live in a hard water area to prevent lime deposits. A trivet will reduce the heat getting to the kettle so it may take more time to heat.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport