Debenhams Store Card and PPI

Good Evening,

in 2003 I took out a Debenhams store card (GE Capital bank) which had PPI. I paid PPI on this account for 4 years, then in 2007 I started a DMP, but came off this in 2009 when i lost my job (and I will admit to have been burying my head in the sand)

I'm just about to write to Debenhams / GE capital to start paying this back and clear it now I'm working and in a position to do it (I had a light bulb moment last week)

I was wondering if I would be able to claim back the PPI I paid due to the fact when I took it out I didn't ask for it and I was also a student and have since found out that it wouldn't have covered me anyway!

If I am able to I'd like to use this to pay off some of the debt !
can any one help?
Thanks

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    kittiemoo wrote: »
    Good Evening,

in 2003 I took out a Debenhams store card (GE Capital bank) which had PPI. I paid PPI on this account for 4 years, then in 2007 I started a DMP, but came off this in 2009 when i lost my job (and I will admit to have been burying my head in the sand)

I'm just about to write to Debenhams / GE capital to start paying this back and clear it now I'm working and in a position to do it (I had a light bulb moment last week)

I was wondering if I would be able to claim back the PPI I paid due to the fact when I took it out I didn't ask for it and I was also a student and have since found out that it wouldn't have covered me anyway!

If I am able to I'd like to use this to pay off some of the debt !
    can any one help?
    Thanks

Hi and welcome

I would defo give it a go with your reasons, if you were a full time student and did not work in between (not that you would have had time to lol), then let them know that, and that it was just added to the store card.
    The least they can do is refund you from when you went into difficulties, where this was still added to the account I expect when you went into a DMP.
    But I would certainly give it go all the way.

All you do is complete the reclaim questionnaire below on step 3, send to the main office, or complaints (my son via Burtons Store card was sent to GE Cap and they forwarded it to Santander automatically) as it seems they are dealing with these complaints now, so you can send to GE if you want to and they will forward yours on but post by signed for recorded delivery, this is your proof of posting and you can check to make sure it reached its destination.
    They normally have 8 weeks, but may ask for more time if needed, remember to keep a copy as well, good luck.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-credit-card-insurance#step3
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family