Free online Welsh lessons

Comments

• Very funny. I wonder how many of the contributors to this thread so far are English!? I wonder what would happen if this post was about learning Pakistan's Urdu language, would you all be so quick to make such remarks then. Always strikes me that one person's discrimination is another's 'poking fun at'. Not having a go but this forum is about moneysaving, not thoughtless comments. If you don't want to learn Welsh, then don't, but try to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. In short, "dywed 'wbath call, neu cau hi". ;-)
    "If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works" - Snow Patrol
  • impster
    impster Posts: 144 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2009 at 1:52PM
    O'r diwedd - rhywun yn siarad yn gall. Diolch i ti Draig Goch.

Falle'n wir ddylswn i gychwyn tudalen Gymraeg ar y fforwm yma. Dewch i ni gael gweld beth fydd yr ymateb i'r canlynol...

English is simple...just add a bit of patronising arrogance at the end of each sentence.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Draig_Goch wrote: »
    Very funny. I wonder how many of the contributors to this thread so far are English!? I wonder what would happen if this post was about learning Pakistan's Urdu language, would you all be so quick to make such remarks then. Always strikes me that one person's discrimination is another's 'poking fun at'. Not having a go but this forum is about moneysaving, not thoughtless comments. If you don't want to learn Welsh, then don't, but try to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. In short, "dywed 'wbath call, neu cau hi". ;-)

Da Iawn Diolch !!!!

Seems to be there are people on this forum who think they are hilarious with their childish comments.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • simoncrouch
    simoncrouch Posts: 37 Forumite
    Who's coat is this jacket ?

For those of you who know Max Boyce, Hymns and Arias, Land of my Fathers and Harry's got a Horse"
  • tom00
    tom00 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I'm listening to the first lesson and it seems quite good.

For anyone interested in learning Welsh, I'm learning it and find that there are a quite a few very good resources out there for free.

The BBC website has audio and video courses. I started learning with the original 'Catchphrase' course.

bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh

Also, the BBC Cymru website has a 'BBC vocab' feature, which allows you to read the news in Welsh and hover your cursor over words you don't understand. The English translation comes up in a little box. There's a button to turn it on in the top right-hand corner.

bbc.co.uk/cymru

I'm doing a course which can lead to a degree with the University of Wales, Lampeter (The site seems to be down at the moment, and ïs quite a bit, but I print the lessons out anyway). They're offering the first two modules for free and have always been very friendly by email.

e-addysg.com

Also, I like to watch S4C programmes online. Most of the programmes have subtitles in English and Welsh.

s4c.co.uk/clic

Also, It's not free, but I subscribe to the magazine 'Lingo Newydd'. It's 1.50 an issue with delivery, published every two months, and is aimed at learners.
  • I've been doing the SSIW lesson 1 for a week or so, it seems a good way of learning and quite intuitive. I've done evening classes in the past but just couldn't get my head around learning vocabulary. My wife was better at the pen and paper courses but it's the 4th language she's learnt!! I'm going to stick with this method for a while and see how it goes, the Eisteddfod in Ebbw is coming up soon and it would be good to have some language under my belt.

hwyl fawr
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    the thing is like i live in wales and nobody i know speaks welsh although i would like to learn it
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Always strikes me as odd that people take the mick out of the Welsh for having their own language which, god forbid, the English can't understand. NOOOOOOO they must be talking about me!

Get a grip please.

Also, just a thought, when slating the Welsh language - when English kids learn the alphabet in school, phonetically, I wonder how many of you realise it's the Welsh alphabet they are learning. A B C, instead of Ay, Bee, Cee etc.

Don't know about you but I prefer a language where you say what you see, rather than one that has the same word spelled differently but pronounced the same each time - to, two & too anyone?

:-)
    "If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works" - Snow Patrol
  • TurkishDelight
    TurkishDelight Posts: 7,739 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Also, just a thought, when slating the Welsh language - when English kids learn the alphabet in school, phonetically, I wonder how many of you realise it's the Welsh alphabet they are learning. A B C, instead of Ay, Bee, Cee etc.
    What the hell are you talking about? Phonetically that makes no sense as the welsh c is a hard c so more like a english k. :confused: Ah buh kuh, or ay bee cee. I also didn't see any nasty comments coming from the english/non-welsh speakers just good natured banter and quite a few taking up the offer. Do you think that a) you are making a point or b) you are putting people off learning because it seems eliteist?
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Always strikes me as odd that people take the mick out of the Welsh for having their own language which, god forbid, the English can't understand. NOOOOOOO they must be talking about me!

Get a grip please.

Don't know about you but I prefer a language where you say what you see, rather than one that has the same word spelled differently but pronounced the same each time - to, two & too anyone?

:-)

Isn't 'C' pronounced 'eck' in the Welsh alphabet (as in 'S Pedwar Eck'). That might be how kids in Yorkshire learn the alphabet but I'm not sure it's true of the rest of England.

p.s. I've just stereotyped the good people of Yorkshire. No doubt this thread will be inundated with responses from outraged citizens of Halifax, Dewsbury and Harrogate. Or maybe not as perhaps unlike some of the population of Wales who persist in their cult of victimisation most people in the rest of the UK can differentiate between an attempt at humour and a deliberate attempt to offend:think:.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills