How deep does a fence post go?

Just need to erect one fence post but I can't remember how deep it is supposed to go. Fence is 6' high and I'm just moving the gate up the fence a bit so need to put in an extra post.

Does a 2 or 2 1/2 feet deep hole seem right?

TIA
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i thought 3 ft down for a 6ft fence but might be wrong...
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mmmmmmm I thought it was a third of eventual height, on average. 3' would be half the eventual height. Not sure that's right? :confused:

Anyone else confirm or refute? :D
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Agreed - it is generally accepted (less if you concrete it - more if in new and non-compacted soil) at one third of height above ground - so 2 feet in your case.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Bigun28
    Bigun28 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    2' deep with a load of concrete around it for a 6' post should be OK. Fence posts normally come in an 8' length and most fence panels are 6' tall. Depending on how firm the ground is, make sure the concrete hole is at least 1' across. more if the ground is soft. Then place the post in and fill it full of concrete. You can also put old rocks and broken bricks into the hole to add balast and to avoid having to mix too much concrete.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    By far the easiest method is to use metal fence post spike. about 2 feet long it is hammered into the ground, fence post slots in the top bit.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=56843&ts=25851#
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone. :)

Can't use the metal spike, Wig....too much concrete in area already. I'm going to have to use a jack hammer to break some of it up so that I can dig a suitable hole before concreting again.
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Two feet is the correct depth for 8ft post,leaving 6ft above ground.The hole needs to be about 12 to 15 inches across and it's amazing how deep 2ft is when you have to dig it out.Remember to tamp the concrete with a stick to release trapped air.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure