PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cost of running the Oven

2»

Comments

• Hello
    Hello Posts: 358 Forumite
    Thread works and is exactly what I was looking for too - thank you!
    Ciggie free 2am 21/09/06. Debt free 25/06/09.
    'It was such a lovely day I thought 'it's a pity to get up'' W. Somerset Maugham.
  • I cannot remember where I found it, but have a note that a weeks meals for a family of 4 takes about 25-30 units, and that a fan assisted oven on medium heat for an hour takes 2 units, as opposed to a conventional oven which takes 3 units.
  • How do you make your yorkshires in there?
    My OH loves them but with a broken oven I haven't been able to make them lately

A combi oven is no more than a small fan oven, I set mine to 230C and just cook like normal yorkshires. Two things to note 1) Make sure the Yorkshire tin can revolve in the oven and 2) You can cheat a little by nuking the yorkies a little when they start to rise then continuing to use the convection function to finish them off.

HTH
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Just wanted to thank Saving-grace for link to Remoska thread which is full of good stuff. i'm beginning to think that calculating the cost of runing electrical things is incalculable because of all the extra odds and ends (how long does it take to heat up, does the residual heat get wasted etc etc. ) I dry off baking tins, pans etc in my cooling oven and make cheap merengues, so is that a waste of energy or not........ Arrrrgh. But also there's the health aspect - if I cooked everything on the gas hob it wold probably take less energy, but I think would need more fat and thus be more likely to kill us. I think I give up......:confused::confused::confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure