PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    apropos torches, does anyone know if those wind-up ones are any good? They're expensive in camping shops but they pop up 2nd hand from time to time.

Mine is...under a fiver at Tesco's...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have in the past couple of years bought my DGS Ben a wind-up torch from the local fishing shop as he often goes night fishing and last year my DD bought him a wind-up radio for Christmas and it seems to work very well .saves him a fortune in batteries as well.Often Wilkinsons sell them around Christmas time for about a fiver
  • Popperwell
    edited 13 July 2012 at 11:33AM
    Someone suggested having two torches(one for upstairs, one for downstairs)at that price it's affordable.

The same might be said of the wind up lanterns(safer than candles and tea lights)but there are mixed feelings about the lanterns and lots of choice mostly at Amazon it would seem. Then again you could use two in a room and carry one as required around with you as they have a handle...

They can be quite bright as many have 12 LED lights...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 239 Forumite
    I am not sure I understand why we need to have the bags? natural disaters? car broken down in snow?
    Love reading the oldstyle board...always something to learn!
  • Popperwell
    kettlenic wrote: »
    I am not sure I understand why we need to have the bags? natural disaters? car broken down in snow?

As I am unlikely to be in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, I would not need one but some items that you have in the bag could be useful at home in an emergency.

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    apropos torches, does anyone know if those wind-up ones are any good? They're expensive in camping shops but they pop up 2nd hand from time to time.

They're quite good really, and would be ideal for an emergency. I bought my DDs one each for Christmas last year - one was a duck and the other a pony. I got them in Milletts for about £2.50 each (it was on a special offer) so it's worth looking out for them there. They're led lights so very bright.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks, I think I will keep an eye out for a wind-up lantern. I first read about them when reading The Moneyless Man by Mark Boyle. He was living off-grid, and used one at night to read by. Actually the book might be of interest to people on here, not for going 'moneyless' but there's lots of ideas in there for spending as little as possible and living sustainably.
  • Popperwell
    Thanks, I think I will keep an eye out for a wind-up lantern. I first read about them when reading The Moneyless Man by Mark Boyle. He was living off-grid, and used one at night to read by. Actually the book might be of interest to people on here, not for going 'moneyless' but there's lots of ideas in there for spending as little as possible and living sustainably.

As you'll see they can go from approx £15-£30+and some have better reviews and specifications than others same with wind up radio's...

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use my wind up lantern as a reading light in winter. The way my finances are atm then I might well be using it even more!

I love the feeling of being reasonably prepped for SHTF scenarios - whether it is economic disaster or being stuck in the car in the snow (happened in 2010 and I spent a very comfortable few hours with snacks and warmth lol)

I have a long way to go though and love threads like this, esp the links to various sites :)

So, thanks x
  • empressemma
    empressemma Posts: 194 Forumite
    Our wind up torch was from ikea! And very good it is too :p

The website 72hours.org is very good for advice on go-bags, and what to do in different situations. It's designed for people in the San Francisco area, but the advice is relevant to everywhere really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure