Natwest Black Current Account

MattLondon
MattLondon Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 20 January 2014 at 12:56PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google looking for help with current accounts, our fully researched Premium Bank Account or Best Bank Account guides may be useful.

Back to the original post...

Hello MSE members. This is my first post!
I have a question about Natwest current accounts (several in fact)

1) I understand that the Natwest Black current account superseded the Adv Private accounts- is this correct?Or is it just another teir above their adv gold account? Ie non private banking

2) I have today upgraded from adv Gold to natwest Black- will I get any further credit facilities or have I just spent an extra £12 a month to get airport access etc?

3) is the black account a Private banking account?

4) does the Natwest black account come with an automatic credit zone or overdraft?

5) does this account come with a personal relationship manager?

6) finally- will the send me a new debit card to replace the last visa debit- if so what does it look like? Anyone got one? Is it chq guarantee?

Please note that these questions are relating to the new Natwest Black Current account and NOT in relation to the Natwest Black credit card account!

Sorry for all the questions- I'd really appreciate if you could answer some of them for me!

Bests
Matt

Comments

• pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I believe the black is the new name for private advantage. Old people haven't been transferred though.

We have had it for 5 years. We pay annually. It has a chargecard which is main incentive for us which we use when they won't accept Amex.

It also has a credit card (both of ours have relatively small limits which I hadn't really thought about until now)

No automatic overdraft amount as far as I know. They are very good if you need to increase it temporarily (twice in 5 years) but it is again relatively low. Our overdraft is about 25 per cent of one months salary paid in which is hardly generous.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • MattLondon
    Thank you pleasedelete!

I just wondered if there are 2 accounts? A private black acc and a renamed adv gold+ (non private acc)
  • pleasedelete
    Forumite
    Plus unless its changed you don't get lounge access unless you book the travel through them (Thomas cook) and then it's only on way out.

We have it with Amex so doesn't bother us.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

• MattLondon
    Yea it comes with airport lounge access. I can't be sure if I'll keep the same debit card as I've had on the adv gold account - they stopped issuing gold ones a few years ago when they moved to VISA?
    I'm concerned that they will offer a black account yet the only diff I'll see is 12 quid extra leaving my account.

I passed the approval for the black account on income level.
  • MattLondon
    MattLondon wrote: »
    Hello MSE members. This is my first post!
    I have a question about Natwest current accounts (several in fact)

1) I understand that the Natwest Black current account superseded the Adv Private accounts- is this correct?Or is it just another teir above their adv gold account? Ie non private banking

2) I have today upgraded from adv Gold to natwest Black- will I get any further credit facilities or have I just spent an extra £12 a month to get airport access etc?

4) does the Natwest black account come with an automatic credit zone or overdraft?

6) finally- will the send me a new debit card to replace the last visa debit- if so what does it look like? Anyone got one? Is it chq guarantee?

Please note that these questions are relating to the new Natwest Black Current account and NOT in relation to the Natwest Black credit card account!

Sorry for all the questions- I'd really appreciate if you could answer some of them for me!

Bests
    Matt

Can anyone else shed any light on these questions please?
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    http://www.natwest.com/private/banking/current-accounts/black-account.ashx

Answers most of your questions, although I find it odd you didn't look into what exactly you are signing up for before upgrading your account. You won't get a cheque guarantee card as that scheme ended on 30th June, so no bank issues these anymore
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • MattLondon
    edited 16 July 2011 at 10:50PM
    Thank you Jen

I have already seen that page though.
    Fair comment about reading what I'm signing upto too, however I haven't technically signed anything; just used the upgrade account function on Nwolb.com to apply for private now that I qualify.. It said that Private had stopped and it's now Natwest Black. I was accepted, so my questions are not from a worried perspective- I am just curious as to what I will get as the site just lists the Adv benefits such as airport lounge and greenflag- I want to know what credit facilities I can get/ preferential loans / type of card? Is it charge card like adv private was etc

Thanks Matt
  • pleasedelete
    Forumite
    You got a relationship manager with private but they very much downgraded it a couple of years ago. We used to have 2 at our branch with direct lines. They made 1 redundant and gave a call centre 70 miles away instead. The other isn't meant to give a direct line but does. You used to be able to just drop in at branch to see one but that was removed.

They come to your house which is good.

We had the emergency plumber once- that was great and totally free.

• madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite

Yes, it is the replacement for Adv Private. It is an account only available to people that qualify for the private banking service.

No guarantee of further facilities, all subject to status as before.

Yes

No

Yes, although depending on your level of income they may not be branch based but based in a call centre

I don't think there is a new card. I haven't seen anything to say that there is. However I could be proved wrong when people start bringing them into the branch! It isn't a cheque guarantee card as these don't exist anymore as the scheme finshed on 30th June.

Hope that helps
  • MattLondon
    Thanks Madgagoo.

I have average credit- I don't borrow you see; the only credit I've had in recent years is my mobile contract!
    So I assumed that I would've had a further credit check done by NW as well as passing on income for the account- correct? So if my credit is good enough for this account, it should be good enough for overdraft or loan? I would've assumed it came with an overdraft zone like your competitors accounts.

Re new card- I currently have the blue-purple NW debit card, I assume the new one will atleast say private on it else how will I use the facilities ala airport lounge? Perhaps there is a separate members card with the adv pack?

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport