PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Descaling a shower head?

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I soooo wish I had read this thread before this morning, as I kept meaning to descale my shower head (London water, extra-hard!).

Instead I ignored it and this morning when my husband went in the shower, the hose exploded because of too much pressure and he got scalded (and the shower head is now broken and has to be replaced GRRRRRRR).

So, people, take heed! Descale your shower head!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    oooh nasty that, is he ok??

occasionally when we lived in London, we would put a couple of bags of washing soda in the water tank in the loft (hot water) and let it sit there overnight then let it run through the system, it really kept the limescale down, I used to do all my washing with that water on a saturday or sunday morning, the old fart would swap the washing maching hoses over so the machine filled with hot water then put them back, id do all thecurtains and bedding and towels etc then our clothes and by that time the washing soda had gone and we could get baths etc

lot of messing but only about 4 times a year

use washing soda in the washer as well as it stops the pipes furring up.
  • Caterina
    Thank you for your concern Cathy, he is ok, just a (small) nasty red mark on his arm due to the steam coming out of the tube as it burst.

We don't have a tank, we are on the mains only, so we cannot do the trick you described.

How do I put washing soda in the machine? With the soap (we use the Faith in Nature liquid thingy - bought in bulk of course hehe) or in the conditioner space (we don't use any conditioner, find it a waste of time and money and we like our towels ROUGH!!). Can this be done to the dishwasher as well?

Thanks again

Caterina
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    just put it in the drawer follow the instructions on the bag

and only use a quarter of your usuall amount of soap powder cos it softens the water and the suds are much more than usual

yes you can put it in the dishwasher just put a tablespoon full in the bottom of the dishwasher and use as normal, dont forget to quarter the amount of powder again
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    use white vinegar as a softner caterina its great and keeps the machine clean as well

just use what you would use if it were softner
  • Caterina
    Thank you Cathy, for your great advice as always!

:):):)

Caterina
  • cathy wrote:
    lemon juice and vinegar in a plastic bag. tie it round shower head with garden tie or lazzy band and leave to soak for a couple of hours

;D ;D

Excellent tip. I used a sandwich bag and some out of date white wine vinegar and a bit of lemon juice and after 2 hours soaking the plastic shower head it is now spotless.
    I have spent ages trying to scrub of the black soap scum marks and nothing would shift them until now.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi
    It's been ages since i've posted and i've had a quick check but couldn't see anything relating to my query.

Is there an Old style way of descaling a shower head rather than just buying a bottle of descaler?

I'm sure there's somebody on here that know's this at the drop of a hat.

Thanks in advance

LT
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    There's a post about this in the Collections section - Cleaning - Vinegar - Kettles and Showers

And the answer is.......vinegar :D

lizzyb
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Just had a look on that thread and found how to descale my toilet too :)
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport