Social workers and ipads

We had a theoretical argument at work today which has left me wondering something. If you had a social worker show up at your house and he/she used an ipad, what would you think?

As in, you were doing a CAF assessment and they typed in into the form on the ipad rather than handwrite it or do it on a laptop.

Ignoring issues of security of information, just about the perception of using an ipad instead of a laptop or paper documents.

I don't know if any local authority with the money for social workers to get kitted out with these, this was just a 'modern technology' argument at work. Purely hypothetical.

Comments

• LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    There aren't any issues of security, as any 'official' Ipad would used for those purpses be encrypted in the same way a work laptop would be.

My perception would be that if it wasn't an Ipad, it would be another tablet and that it is better that the social worker enters the information directly and either later print and sort, or pingto a more junior member of staff to action. The alternative is to write it up manually and then have the social worker find time to duplicate the forms later on.

If we're serious about putting scare frontline staff where they are most needed, that means using avaiable technology to streamline the reams of government issue paperwork, rather than letting a Daily Mail healdine about Ipads and images of social workers lounging about watching videos or whatever you do on an Ipad make a difficult job unneccessarily more cumbersome.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I can't see the difference between using a iPad and a laptop as presumably they are capable of doing the same things, even typing up a CAF assessment, whatever that is.
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    I'd say a laptop would be perfectly sufficient.

I would though prefer some things (ie CAF forms or anything that will be referred back to or used in proceedings) written by hand and then copied, as that way no changes can be made after the event.
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    if the meeting meant my child got the help they needed, I wouldn't care if they wanted to use my blood and my best bed sheets to write on!
  • minimoneysaver
    minimoneysaver Posts: 2,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What's wrong with using technology to get the targets of the CAF meeting down? As long as the targets are actioned, that's all that matters. If they have a specific APP which helps take down minutes of the meeting etc and a check box system, it should save time on paperwork.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It shouldn't be an iPad for various reasons but the use of portable IT should be routine now. It's a lot more secure, if done properly, than having paper copies of files blowing in the wind.

As far as giving a copy of the information, they can email me a PDF copy or print out a copy on the portable printer in the car.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • thebillet
    thebillet Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Anything, or nearly anything (not sure about bed sheets and blood which would be quite difficult to file let alone it sticking together) that gets SWs to complete their records on time can only be a good thing, never seen so much activity or panic when word goes out "write ups" are being checked.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nope, can't see the difference between them using an ipad or laptop.

Infact I would have thought an ipad would be perferable as you can see exactly what is being written about you/your family, not so with a laptop, they could be writing anything behind the lid.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Surely one point of an iPad is they could also use it to look up information eg about local support services which might not be possible with a laptop if there were no wifi available. What's the problem? I know of one local authority that gives its refuse collectors iPads for similar reasons - they need to access council information and are rarely in a place with fixed net access.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    I think the DWP use something similar. I interviewed someone afew weeks ago who was in Court for benefit fraud and one of the things he said was that someone from either the DWP or the LA (regarding Housing Benefit/CT Benefit) did a home visit to him and completed a form using a tablet, I think, from the way he described it. He said that he didn't get to read the form, he was just answering the questions he was being asked, and the rep was typing them in so he didn't realise information was missing regarding his savings. Part of that might be BS because he didn't want me to think badly of him, part of it may be a misunderstanding of the process, but part of it may be truth, I'm not sure.

DH works for a neighbouring LA testing new software and hardware and the money they spend on kitting staff out with iphones and other bits and pieces is unbelievable.

Jx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills