IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Owner left site - UKPC and Debt Recovery Plus Ltd

Hi all,

Just looking for some reassurance! Think I'm OK but just want to make sure!

Back in August my car was parked in local retail car park and got a ticket slapped on it by UKPC Ltd for the contravention of "Owner left the site"

I had a notice through the post a few days later and then a final reminder a week or so ago. Today I have received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd. They state that their letter is a notice of Intended Litigation, and unless the charge is paid within 10 days their solicitors may take legal action which could lead to a CCJ. They state their enforcement options include:
  • Warrant of execution by bailiffs against goods owned
  • An attachment of earnings order
  • your personal effects being sold to pay the amount at judgement
OK, so up until now I have completely ignored everything. Am I right to think that it is safe to continue to ignore this latest letter?
As far as I am aware, bailiffs cannot enter my premises unless under a court appointed warrant, correct?

Oh, and the charge has gone up from £90 to £141.75 - Are they seriously saying that it has cost them £51.75 to just send me a letter?

Any reassurance?

Comments

• Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    larryuk wrote: »
    They state that their letter is a notice of Intended Litigation, and unless the charge is paid within 10 days their solicitors may take legal action which could lead to a CCJ.
    Crucial words are may and could
    larryuk wrote: »
    . They state their enforcement options include:
    • Warrant of execution by bailiffs against goods owned
    • An attachment of earnings order
    • your personal effects being sold to pay the amount at judgement
    For any of these to happen they have to issue a court claim, then win the case and for you to refuse to pay the judgement within 28 days. Ain't goin' to happen.
  • That's what I was thinking! Thanks!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    These people should be hung by their doings for intimidation like this.
    Its people who are not in the know and dont actually see the words
    'may and could' and take it all literally.

They shoulddnt be allowed to mention bailiffs, taking goods, its misleading but they get away with it because of the words may and could.
    There should be more legislation against these cowboys.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • If it makes you feel any better, I've had exactly the same letter from them last week.

Does anyone know from experience what the pattern is with UKPC? I've had two from them and 1 from Debt Recovery Plus so far!
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Look who's here.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you left the site then you have to pay.

Warning Warning MUPPET ALERT
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh! the comedians are back.:rotfl:
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Some people's logic seems a little warped.

That bit I do agree with.
  • If you left the site then you have to pay.

Who has to pay exactly? The RK? Post a link to the law that states the RK is responsible?
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why do some people find parking rules so hard to understand.

If the sign says "You are not allowed to leave the site" then you mustn't leave the site.

Some people's logic seems a little warped.
    So in the warped-logic world of the scamming parking companies, someone could drive to a retail park, spend £400 in Comet, pop across the road to the bank cash machine, come back and spend £25 in Pizza Hut.

But, because he had the temerity to leave the site, they want to charge him an extra £80 or whatever for the privilege of spending his money with those retailers.

I'm surprised the parking companies don't put up signs saying "only people wearing beige cardigans allowed to park here, £80 penalty applies", those "rules" would be equally ridiculous and the tickets equally unenforceable.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure