Getting a National Insurance Number under 16

2»

Comments

• stazi
    stazi Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    Sundin13
    Please re read my post #9.
    You don't need to go to JCP - its nothing to do with them. You need to contact HMRC.
  • sundin13
    sundin13 Posts: 481 Forumite
    Sorry Stazi...brain not functioning correctly! I will give that helpline number a ring later on today. Thanks so much

S13
  • Homework
    Homework Posts: 349 Forumite
    Children do have National Insurance numbers (for DLA purposes they are used) but are not issued until 3 months before the 16th birthday as far as I am aware.

I don't think Inland Revenue will issue the number early for a part time job where there is no National Insurance payable. I think the employer is following the rules of checking for a national insurance number to prevent an illegal worker getting a job and missing the fact that your child is 15.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Homework wrote: »
    I think the employer is following the rules of checking for a national insurance number to prevent an illegal worker getting a job and missing the fact that your child is 15.
    Except that, AFAIK, a NINO does NOT confirm your right to work in the UK. :confused:

It may simply be because they do not wish to employ youngsters more than 3 months before their 16th birthday.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Have a look on the DTI website for specific rules on employing "young people"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Workandcareers/Yourrightsandresponsibilitiesatwork/DG_066272

There are legal limits to what you can work.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport