Re-felting garage roof

People who lived here before me clearly had a love of ivy, and allowed the garage roof to be covered in the stuff. I noticed patches of wet in the boards in the garage recently. On further investigation, and pulling the ivy off it, it appears the lovely stuff has actually grown through the felt, and into the garage!!! (Why people insist on covering their walls with this evil stuff is beyond me) So it needs refelting, and probably reboarding under the felt as well to be honest. How much am I looking at? I'm hoping not too much, but a mate of mine had a kitchen extension leak and had a refelt, slightly smaller than my garage, but cost 700 notes. It's a single garage by the way. Is there any things to ask when I eventually get a quote?
Thanks in advance.

(Incidentally, why do people put shingle stuff on top of the felt? The ivy's leaves had decomposed leaving a nice soil like substance mixed in with this stuff on the roof! Along with the odd bit of cat s**t!!)

Comments

• kaznelson
    kaznelson Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My husband used to be a Flat-Felt Roofer. His family have been running a Flat-Roofing company for near on 60 years.

You want to replace the boards with 3/4" plywood NOT chipboard as that goes like Weetabix. The joints want taping before they put the layers on. This gives you 3 layers over the most vunerable area.

You want 2 layers of High Tensile Felt

Finished with a coat of aluminium reflective paint. (This paint replaces the old shingles/chippings which stop the sun making the felt hot which causes splitting)

Try & get someone highly recommended or at least use a long established company.

Felt roofs have got a bad reputation but if done properly can last 25-30 years.

£700 -£900 seems a fair price but try and get a recommendation
  • Lemoncurd
    Lemoncurd Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Our garage is an (almost) double and it cost £975 to just redo the felt etc, three other quotes were about the same.
    We were looking at the "rubber" roofing which is more expensive but supposed to last much longer but as the garage is attached to next doors they said they couldn't make a good join with the rubber to next doors felt.
  • I'd ask if anybody wants a cash job!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Wow- brilliant responses- thanks so much- I know what to expect now. Re cash job- I always ask that and it is becoming remarkable how many people say that they can't now. A while ago they would suggest it!!

Thanks regarding the painting of the roof- I think the roof has been kitty toilet heaven for a few years now!
  • rafi_2
    rafi_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Lemoncurd

Our garage roof is at present covered in corrugated metal and is leaking in at least one place. The one firm asked so far, said it would need to be completely redone, and boards replaced underneath. To redo it with similar material would be £2,500 and with coated corrugated metal would be £4,500!. I had also mentioned the 'rubber' coating which I had seen advertised in the paper by a West of Scotland company and also seen on an American website - they said that would be even more expensive. I wondered what sort of quote you had had for the 'rubber' if they had been able to join it to next door's garage.

Our garage is L-shaped with the toe of the L very much smaller than the rest, to make a small playroom. Almost tandem length inside the main garage part.
  • Lemoncurd
    Lemoncurd Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rafi wrote:
    Lemoncurd

Our garage roof is at present covered in corrugated metal and is leaking in at least one place. The one firm asked so far, said it would need to be completely redone, and boards replaced underneath. To redo it with similar material would be £2,500 and with coated corrugated metal would be £4,500!. I had also mentioned the 'rubber' coating which I had seen advertised in the paper by a West of Scotland company and also seen on an American website - they said that would be even more expensive. I wondered what sort of quote you had had for the 'rubber' if they had been able to join it to next door's garage.

Our garage is L-shaped with the toe of the L very much smaller than the rest, to make a small playroom. Almost tandem length inside the main garage part.

It was more than felt but not a huge amount, I think they implied it would be less than 50% more. We did use EPDM for a flat gully running the length of the roof of our house and were charged £250 for that to be done.

There is quite a bit of info on this site http://www.avenirroofing.co.uk
  • rafi_2
    rafi_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Thanks Lemoncurd, lots of info there. I'm definitely going to look into this because the length of guarantee would take away one headache. The only drawback with that site is that they only operate in Oxford area - I need Scotland. But I will email them and see if they know of anyone who is licensed to do it here. Thanks again.
  • mikeassured
    mikeassured Posts: 311 Forumite
    My husband is a roofer and I know he always points out the maintenance issue of reflective paint. He uses a high performance mineral felt with either a brown or green finish.

Sue
  • If it s of interest i sell rubber roof kits which are easy to fit.

Details can be found at our website. I cannot post a link to my site as its against forum rules but if you put permaroof into a search engine you will find us. Its a 1 piece rubber roof system, cold applied, and will last in excess of 50 years. We sell hundreds of these kits a month.

Hope this helps
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    spammer reported.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts