PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lodger on visa and electroral roll

2»

Comments

• Hi there

If the lodger is Indian, then she CAN be registered on the electoral roll. Most councils provide all the relevant information and forms online and the electoral roll will be updated within 1 month. I would suggest she opts out of the edited register which is used by marketing companies.

Try this link: aboutmyvote.co.uk/who_can_register_to_vote.aspx

(I am a new user so i am not allowed to write the www in front of the link...)

I would also suggest she applies for a credit card with her bank and repay her balance in full each month, in order to build her credit history.

When i arrived in UK, i was a lodger in someone's house for about a year and those 2 steps worked for me. My name was not on any of the bills.

Mobile phone bills are usually not accepted as proof of address.

Wendy
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    Why does she want to improve her credit rating?
    To take out finance.

And where do the bailiffs come knocking when she doesn't pay the bills? Your front door.

I would do nothing at all to help in this. As you said in your original post, it is none of your business and I would keep it that way. Let her find out herself. The longer it takes, the less likely you are to have to deal with any consequences of someone discovering credit for the first time.
  • A little too cynical - a very poor credit rating can make life difficult because she will probably in future want to rent a flat/house in her own right rather than stay as a lodger indefinitely.

I would say that is a lot more likely than that she wants to get a credit card/personal loan.
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Why does she want to improve her credit rating?
    To take out finance.

And where do the bailiffs come knocking when she doesn't pay the bills? Your front door.

I would do nothing at all to help in this. As you said in your original post, it is none of your business and I would keep it that way. Let her find out herself. The longer it takes, the less likely you are to have to deal with any consequences of someone discovering credit for the first time.

oh, ive no problem with telling [STRIKE]scum[/STRIKE] debt collectors to go poke it, but i will keep my distance from this

it sounds like shes now on top of this, but no way will i be transferring utilities in her name

j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport