IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking enforcement notice from Luton Airport APCOA

Comments

• Sirdan
    Sirdan Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    trisontana wrote: »
    Except they forget to add that "Civil Procedure Rules part 31*, and more specifically parts 31.16 and 31.17" does not apply to the Small-Claims track. How very remiss of them!

There's absolutely no way they "forgot" , they are 100% deliberately misleading people in the hope of conning them into providing information that they are not obliged to.
    Shame that all that OFT guidance on this counts for nothing , i.e. even if reported the OFT won't actually do anything.
    I suggest anyone who is deliberately mislead in this way ...replies in kind giving a made up driver but at a real address..after all it's not a crime to give false information when you have been deliberately lied to in order to obtain such information ..is it ?

On a more serious note anyone who gets such a letter should make their MP aware of how Debt Collectors acting for Private Parking Companies behave ..a perfect example of why the industry does not deserve to have any legislation enacted supporting what is basically a scam.!!! :mad:
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I was being ironic!
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Thank you very much, ignored as per your advice and never heard from them afterwards.
  • I drove my husband's car to Luton Airport a month ago to drop my brother off. I stopped at a red traffic light on roundabout and my bro decided to jump out as he was in a hurry to check in. I then drove on. I received a penalty notice accusing me of dropping off in an unauthorised area and had the usual pay £40 now or £80 in a few weeks or we'll use a debt collection agency to recover monies. I wrote to them saying that I had no control over my passenger's action and that I had not stopped to drop him off. I stopped at a red light as I was obliged to do. Should I ignore this? My husband is nervous as it is his car reg they have. His instinct is to pay it and forget it. I don't want to pay them. It's a rip off. Should I write to them and tell them I have no intention of paying or should I just let it lie?
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    NosyJosie wrote: »
    I drove my husband's car to Luton Airport a month ago to drop my brother off. I stopped at a red traffic light on roundabout and my bro decided to jump out as he was in a hurry to check in. I then drove on. I received a penalty notice accusing me of dropping off in an unauthorised area and had the usual pay £40 now or £80 in a few weeks or we'll use a debt collection agency to recover monies. I wrote to them saying that I had no control over my passenger's action and that I had not stopped to drop him off. I stopped at a red light as I was obliged to do. Should I ignore this? My husband is nervous as it is his car reg they have. His instinct is to pay it and forget it. I don't want to pay them. It's a rip off. Should I write to them and tell them I have no intention of paying or should I just let it lie?

Simply ignore their silly letters. They have not got a hope in hell of ever enforcing such a stupid contravention.

They are simply trying to mimic official road regulations on private land! You have advised them of the circumstances, let them waste their time sending silly letters. Which will ultimately come to nought!!
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just ignore these clowns. That way they will leave you alone much sooner. By the way, this isn't "penalty charge". As a private company that cannot issue such a document. What you have received is a parking charge notice.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 August 2011 at 1:24PM
    NosyJosie wrote: »
    I drove my husband's car to Luton Airport a month ago to drop my brother off. I stopped at a red traffic light on roundabout and my bro decided to jump out as he was in a hurry to check in. I then drove on. I received a penalty notice accusing me of dropping off in an unauthorised area and had the usual pay £40 now or £80 in a few weeks or we'll use a debt collection agency to recover monies. I wrote to them saying that I had no control over my passenger's action and that I had not stopped to drop him off. I stopped at a red light as I was obliged to do. Should I ignore this? My husband is nervous as it is his car reg they have. His instinct is to pay it and forget it. I don't want to pay them. It's a rip off. Should I write to them and tell them I have no intention of paying or should I just let it lie?

My husband was also nervous when I ignored a fake PCN 3 years ago. But I already knew about this scam from reading MSE so just laughed at the bogus PCN and the debt collector letters that followed. Nothing happened, of course, because it is NOT a fine.

My OH still thinks we avoided the 'fine' by exploiting some 'loophole' and doesn't even get why clamping is to be banned. He's very intelligent with an important job that is useful in Society (unlike a PPC) but he is also the sort of person who was brought up to believe - almost unquestioningly - in 'authority'. He told me that he thought that 'a sign being on display' is enough for clamping to be allowed, and that a debt collector letter must mean that a PCN is a real one...I have given up explaining the scam to him but he does at least know never to pay a PPC!

Please make sure you read the top thread 'PPC letters, what to expect' and 'welcome, please read before posting' with the Watchdog youtube link. Show the letter-chain preview and the Watchdog programme to your OH:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

The 'stickies' are at the top, just read the two I mentioned. Then choose any thread on that first page that's about a private parking co (PPC). You will soon see a pattern of advice. See how common your situation is, the whole first page is updated with new queries every single day and we answer all of them within minutes/hours because we detest PPC scams.

:)

P.S. Just for fun, I just love this spoof letter by mwilletts which appeared on the 'Disabled Bay Insult' thread a couple of years ago which summarises the letter you got (which is NOT a fine). Show it to your husband once he gets that it's all a scam:

They are all just begging letters, which are basically saying:

"Hi there Mr or Mrs X, we know we have no authority to fine you, as only a court can issue fines, so we are sending you an invoice, which we really hope you will be daft enough to pay.

We'll keep sending letters for a few weeks, possibly even a few months, at our expense, probably totalling a couple of pounds. They'll even get more threatening, we'll say we are sending debt collectors round and we are going to take you to court, but that would cost us even more money than we have already lost by writing to you, so we wont.

PLEASE pay us, as if you don't, more and more people wont pay us, and then we'll be sending letters out for no reason at all and you wouldn't want us to go out of business would you?

Sincerely

A Scammer"

Or words to that effect anyhows...

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Sirdan
    Sirdan Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    They are simply trying to mimic official road regulations on private land!

NO they are not they are seriously taking the !!!! !

On a public road a traffic warden would not give you a ticket for letting a passenger out at a red light even if the road was fully marked up with double yellow lines and no loading/unloading kerb markers.
  • mazy_m
    mazy_m Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hey all thanks so much for your help again!! ohh update on friday I received a letter from Roxurghe debt collectors....threatening to pass it onto their solicitors Graham White for "Potential Legal action"

Should I just continue to ignore or should I send a letter threatening to sue them for harrassment if they continue sending letters to me? As this is causing me uneccesary stress and worry...for an invoice they can't enforce!!

Cheers again for all your help and I hope more and more people are made aware of scammers like this!!

Maz
    A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    mazy_m wrote: »
    Hey all thanks so much for your help again!! ohh update on friday I received a letter from Roxurghe debt collectors....threatening to pass it onto their solicitors Graham White for "Potential Legal action"

Should I just continue to ignore or should I send a letter threatening to sue them for harrassment if they continue sending letters to me? As this is causing me uneccesary stress and worry...for an invoice they can't enforce!!

Cheers again for all your help and I hope more and more people are made aware of scammers like this!!

Maz

Defintely carry on ignoring the whole letter-chain from Roxburghe (Graham White is just another letter-heading they use, they send those letters, not a solicitor).

To ease your stress, try reading the top sticky threads 'PPC letters' and 'welcome, please read before posting' (Watchdog link on there is a must-see):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=163

Then settle down with a cuppa and read any other thread on that first page, new threads are started and answered here every single day from people in your shoes. Many of them mention the very well-known scumbags you have mentioned. You will soon see a pattern in the replies, carrying on ignoring the scammers will be your preferred option.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure