Caxton and FairFX prepaid money cards - in South America

I am a Brit abroad right now, currently living in BA for three months, and before leaving I obtained both a Caxton and FairFX prepay money card, as I don't want a credit card but I wanted to see which was the better performer.

Now Caxton is currently coming out BY FAR the best card, taking very little in commission, offering a pretty good exchange rate - however I currently am unable to load it and am not sure why. Although I am waiting to hear back from my bank on this - it may be because it is the first time I have tried to load it in this country. And not caxtons fault at all.

In terms of exchange FairFx have whacked on a pretty large charge, almost as large as what my bank would have (which is why i am not using my bank card out here!).

I am pretty disappointed, as by no means am I a thicko (!) and I thought I had established that charges like this would not be applicable.

Ok so let me explain the differences:

200 pesoes (at the perfect exchange rate) = £29.09
Caxton FX - £29.81 (exchange rate of 6.7, charges of 72p)
FairFX - £34.05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was charged approx 18 pesoes (£2.48) at the bank I used and this was after shopping around and being told the same by all banks that this charge would apply when using this card. On top of that came the FairFX charge of £2.10 - isn't it meant to be £1? perhaps it is because I'm not withdrawing dollars or euros but it sucks any which way you look at it!

I am annoyed because I have unnecessarily lost money and if I can sort out the load problem with Caxton I will be shelving my Fair card and going ahead with just the Caxton one.
I thought I would share this in case anyone else is considering which card to use somewhere outside of the Euro or Dollar zone.

:money::eek: Hayley

Comments

• Wannie_2
    Wannie_2 Posts: 214 Forumite
    This post is useless without dates. Nothing to do with Dollar or Euro zones.

Caxton Global charges 2.5 to 2.75% for Mastercard and Visa respectively.

FairFx Anywhere charges 1.4% plus £1 for ATM withdrawals. Clearly cheaper for purchases.

Using the 23rd as a basis, the Mastercard rate was 6.88207, making the 'perfect' withdrawal cost £29.06.

So the figure that you give for Caxton Global equates to the 2.5% charge. Plus of course the 18 peso.

If you withdrew cash from the FairFx Anywhere one the same day, your charges would be £29.06 minus 1.4%(40.7p) plus £1, equalling £30.46. Plus of course the 18 peso.

Of course it is likely that you withdrew cash on different days, so the figures can and will vary. The rate has dropped from 6.88 to 6.77.

So a quick line to FairFx will tell you where the problem lies.

I hope that you will post an honest follow-up after your enquiry.

Did you use an ATM? The same bank for both?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure