How can I make an overpayment to woolwich online

2»

Comments

• dangers
    dangers Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We've just had an extension to our mortgage. We overpaid every month last year (phoned Woolwich up and altered DD). Asked for one months overpayment back (long complicated story) which they could do as it had not been applied to the mortgage. When I was in the branch last week sorting out the extension, the mortgage advisor said that our reserve was around £9000 - when the letter about this came out earlier this year, it was standing at around £5000. It has gone up due to the over payments. If we want this reserve back, we will have to borrow it back at the standard variable rate (7.? %).
    And no, we can't see our mortgage balance on line either.
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can't get the balance online but if you call the freephone number quoted previously above and call when the call centre is closed you can get details of your balance and also the date the last payemnt was recived so you know which payments have cleared. I like to do this because I could 'phone every night if I wanted to (I don't!)

I'm waiting for my mortgage statement too!
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    Has anyone received their Annual Mortgage Statement. I have a mortgage with the Woolwich and was under the impression that they send out the annual statement to all their mortgage customers on the 30th September every year. But I still haven't received anything????? I've over paid this year and expect my payments to be reduced and would like to budget for this month more accurately.

Also, is there anyway of seeing my mortgage balance online? It would be great if there was some way of keeping track of how the mortgage is going other than waiting for a yearly statement?! I would like to see how my overpayments are reducing my balance, it would motivate me no end.

Thanks all!

The MYE statements are generated using balances as at 30/9 but the run starts going out in the next few weeks. They are not issued and posted on 30/9.

Also unless you have an offset mortgage you can't view online
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • I'm still waiting for that Annual Mortgage Statement from the Woolwich/Barclays? Anyone received there's yet?!

The reason I'm so keen to get it is because I made an overpayment earlier in the year - I think it was 5% of the owed amount that I was allowed to overpay - But my payments still haven't changed?

My mortgage payment went out today at exactly the same amount as before. I was expecting it to be reduced? Why hasn't this happened or is this month classed as the last payment of the year? It shouldn't be though should it?
  • Further to other contributor's comments , I have to agree that the customer service at the Woolwich is absolutely dreadful.

As I'm on a lifetime tracker at +0.23 over base, I'm not going anywhere else though.

I too am looking to repay some mortgage. There is no means of contacting them over the net and no branches. There is a customer helpline that permanently has queues. I have a part and part and want to check if I overpaid whether it would go off the interest only or off the repayment part.

Interesting that you should say that its only creditted in lumps of £2000? I want to overpay and shorten the length of my mortgage, but as you say, you have to be sure that the payments are going to the right place.. I also want to re-confirm that overpayments are penalty free.

If anyone does get hold of an address to write to where you actually get a reply, perhaps they could post it on here ?

Woolwich - I hope you are reading this - Shame on you ! Customer service awards? my a***
  • MrBG
    MrBG Posts: 36 Forumite
    I too am awaiting my Annual Mortgage Statement. In the last year I have made a number of small overpayments (£50,£100 etc), which I was only able to do by ringing customer services and asking for the sort code and account number etc. I then made a small test payment and then rang them back a couple of weeks later to confirm it had been allocated to the account, before sending any more. I don't bank with Barclays / Woolwich but very easy now to make online payments using my own bank. I also got them to confirm that overpayments get credited instantly, and directly against the capital, which they did. Whilst customer services would seem to be outsourced to foreign climes, I found the service very good indeed, although I did have to queue as expected.

Tip: Check www.saynoto0870.com for cheaper rate numbers.

As I have a lifetime tracker at BoEBR+0.18%, I might be able to afford a few extra payments this year.

I hadn't previously considered using the mortgage current account reserve - but with falling interest rates is anyone considering utilising this facility? I must admit there doesn't really seem to be a simple explanation of exactly how it works - has anyone looked in depth at this?
  • MrBG
    MrBG Posts: 36 Forumite
    I've now had my annual mortgage statement -slightly confused by way the interest is shown as a lump sum at the end of the year whilst I understand that this is calculated daily - would be easier if the interest could be shown on a monthly basis as would be easier to calculate how the monthly payment affects the capital and the interest (and of course how overpayments save interest)

I've now set up a standing order (in addition to the direct debit) to overpay every month.

I've also tried building a spreadsheet to track and plot payments and to show much my overpayments will affect the mortgage term, I'm nearly there but just can't seem to get all the formulae right.
  • MrBG wrote: »

I've also tried building a spreadsheet to track and plot payments and to show much my overpayments will affect the mortgage term, I'm nearly there but just can't seem to get all the formulae right.

I've been trying to do the same. So far I have yet to find a method of applying the daily interest and the monthly payments so that it adds up to the same figures as I get on the statement. I'm always out by a few 10's of pounds. Once these tally then I can start monitoring any overpayments I make.

If you crack it please post the answer here as it is driving me nuts!
  • I rang them up.

1. no online banking available
    2. only way to overpay is send a cheque.

I set up a standing order using duplicate details so I could overpay online.

crazy :confused:
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
  • just a thing here to add my ten penn'orth.

for several years my (now ex) husband were paying a lot more per month than we were supposed to off our mortgage. and it wasnt until we asked them something about something completely different, that they told us that our mortgage account was £4000 in credit. (payments made in advance)!! it hadnt been coming off the total at all.

they explained that this was because we hadnt formally informed them that we wanted our (proper) monthly payments re-registered at the new amount we wanted to pay!!

someone else also told us that the best way to pay lump sums off your mortgage was to save the extra up all year in a high interest savings account, and pay it off at the end of the year, just before the interest for the year was due to go on. we also had to make it quite clear that this was a 'capital payment'.

i expect with all the new mortgaes etc that are about, things are different now on paying off extra amounts, but we were very disappointed. we had been paying almost double the amount!! (i should explain at this point that it was a while ago and the actual mortgaged amount was only something like 28k.!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure