CCJ and Summary Judgement

HELP!

I know I'll get some stern advice here about my predicament but I need some advice on how to deal with an aggressive creditor who has now issued a claim through the small claims court (moneyonline.gov.uk) via Northampton for a debt I dispute.

I had requested a CCA from them and they simply provided a typed copy of it.
Now they have issued a claim and I responded with a defense that they have not proved that I owe any debt.
They (1st Credit) have now written to me to say I have 14 days to pay or they will apply for a summary judgement under Part 24 CPR.

I maintain my defense is that they have not shown ANY evidence of my alleged debt. Surely before any judgement can be ascertained, the court must be satisfied that the debt is legitimate?? And as the defendant do I not have a right to see their evidence??
They have not provided me with any evidence other than a typed credit agreement.

Any advice on what I can do next?
I was proposing to write to court again (CC 1st Credit) stating my defense is that the claimant has not provided any evidence of the claim to me.

D

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    You can submit your defence online for Northampton claims as long as you do so within 14 days of service, which is deemed to be 5 days after issue.

If you need further time, acknowledge service stating that you intend to file a defence and get a further 14 days.

You should then get an Allocation Questionnaire, then a hearing at your local court

CAB factsheet

Best of luck.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    You need some specific advice on CCA/legal issues, as 1st Credit could well succeed with a summary judgement if you do not approach this correctly. I would go and ask on the legal sections of forums such as legalbeagles and consumeractiongroup and others.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • d0nnyoz
    d0nnyoz Posts: 88
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    fatbelly wrote: »
    You can submit your defence online for Northampton claims as long as you do so within 14 days of service, which is deemed to be 5 days after issue.

If you need further time, acknowledge service stating that you intend to file a defence and get a further 14 days.

You should then get an Allocation Questionnaire, then a hearing at your local court

CAB factsheet

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice.
    I think I've gone through most of these steps already.
    I got notification of the claim and I responded with my defense within 14 days. The court replied and stated the defense would be submitted to the claimant who had 28 days to respond.
    The claimant has now written to me stating they will give me a further 14 days to settle the claim or they will make a request for a summary judgement. They say in their letter that they don't recognise any defense.

I'm wondering what to do now as as far as I'm concerned the claimant has not proved the debt. Surely the court would need to see prove of the debt before any judgement is made??

My gut feeling is to write back to the court (CC to the claimant) stating that there is no proof of debt and until the claimant can provide that then no summary judgement should be made against me.
    Is that the right step?
  • d0nnyoz
    Forumite
    fermi wrote: »
    You need some specific advice on CCA/legal issues, as 1st Credit could well succeed with a summary judgement if you do not approach this correctly. I would go and ask on the legal sections of forums such as legalbeagles and consumeractiongroup and others.

Thanks.
    How do I get this specific advice as I cannot see a legal section.
    Are legalbeagles and cusumeractiongroup users or boards?

Cheers ...
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    I meant.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Is-your-creditor-suing-you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?170-Legal-Issues

MSE doesn't have a specific legal section that would suit. While someone may come along on this thread that can help, it may be wise to ask on those as well in order to maximise your chances.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • d0nnyoz
    Forumite
    fermi wrote: »
    I meant.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Is-your-creditor-suing-you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?170-Legal-Issues

MSE doesn't have a specific legal section that would suit. While someone may come along on this thread that can help, it may be wise to ask on those as well in order to maximise your chances.

Ah. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport