Dyson...funny noise and burning smell!!

As I was using my Dyson (07 origin) the other day it suddenly started making a very strange noise...very strained sounding and then there was a strong electrical burning smell.

I've had a look at it and can't see any blockage or evidence that I've sucked up something I shouldn't and am now wondering what to do to fix the problem. I don't mind taking it to get it repaired but don't want to end up paying a firtune...if it's cheaper to look at buying a new one I'd rather do that.

Can anyone offer any advice please!!

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Model? Sounds like motor burning out?
    Have you cleaned the filters regularly?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    I have a Dyson upright, DC33 I think, and it has all manner of bits that you can pull off to check for blockages. I would spend some time pulling at the various parts, and looking for locking levers. Quite often pushing a small plastic lever releases a part. If the air flow is blocked, then yes you will get overheating of the motor and a funny smell. One approach is to remove the part closest to the motor, and if the motor then runs okay, the blockage must be downstream. Perhaps there is an online manual that explains how it comes apart?
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Hi there.
    Try this link to dyson's help page for your model.

http://support.dyson.co.uk/support/dc07/dc07-origin

One thing to remember is Dyson do a fixed price vacuum service for £73. My sister-inlaw has a DC04 which stopped working. The fault was a burnt out motor, but the engineer replaced that and everything else on it which was broken (and a couple of other things which were 'worn') and it ended up as good as new!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,518 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Possibly a jammed brush bar. This will cause it to strain and the rubber belt will start to melt.
  • this will be the drive belt for the brush bar. it comes off or jams and then melts with the spinning drive shaft rubbing on it. happens quite often on mine. you can get replacement belts from ebay etc.

they are pretty hard to put on though so have a screwdriver to hand to try to pull it on...
    As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My guess is motor brushes either stuck or worn out. If so, this needs the machine to be fully taken apart. There is an excellent video on YouTube which takes you through the process.
    Forgotten but not gone.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    this will be the drive belt for the brush bar. it comes off or jams and then melts with the spinning drive shaft rubbing on it. happens quite often on mine. you can get replacement belts from ebay etc.

they are pretty hard to put on though so have a screwdriver to hand to try to pull it on...
    This is your first thing to try, cheap enough and easy enough to have a go before you start pulling the whole thing apart or spending a fortune on a service.
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely check the drive belt and then if that doesn't work I'll look at the other things people have suggested.

I can't afford £73 for a service just now so that would have to be a last resort.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why would you pay that-go to an independent and get it looked at for much less.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • jhe
    jhe Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i phoned dyson helpline recently, turned out the bearings had gone, they sent me out a free brushbar, didnt realise i had a 5 year guarantee with it, you could try ringing them 0800 298 0298. i found them very helpful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure