Transferring No Claims from motorbike to car insurance - what insurers let you?

NKS
NKS Posts: 37 Forumite
edited 28 March 2013 at 2:23PM in Motoring
Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

For full information on how to find the cheapest motorbike policy, see the main website's Cheap Motorbike Insurance guide.

Back to the original post...

I've got 2 years NCD from a motorbike I got rid of recently. I'm now about to buy a car and know there are some insurers who will let you transfer NCD from bike to car policies. But I don't know which ones! Brokers generally won't accept it as they compare lots of insurers. Companies who I've called who DO accept transfer are Tesco, Directline, churchill but they're all more expensive with NCD than others from comparison sites without NCD (tho Churchill is close), so that's no good for money saving. Has anyone else gone through this process who knows other companies to try?

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Who was your bike insured with? Ask them.
    Also try Hastings Direct.
  • NKS
    Ta. Will try Hastings. Existing broker (bennetts) say nope, not interested
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ecar will accept it, I transfered my spare motorcycle NCB to a car policy with them.
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When I was trying quotes with the egroup (albeit a year+ ago) motorbike NCD didn't seem to make a difference to the price
  • Keith
    scbk wrote: »
    When I was trying quotes with the egroup (albeit a year+ ago) motorbike NCD didn't seem to make a difference to the price

:confused:

They accept how ever many years motorcycle ncb you have as the equivilent number of years of NCB to your car policy, but the NCB can't be currently in us.

So if you had an expired motorcycle policy which gave 2 years NCB, ecar would accept this and give you 2 years NCB on your car policy.
  • NKS
    Excellent - thanks! Works out over £100 cheaper than others for Third Party Fire and theft, and is very good value even on fully comp cos it includes breakdown cover. Has anyone had to use their breakdown service included with the policy, and are they any good? I've always had insurance add-on breakdown run by the RAC before, but this one doesn't specify any company
  • Keith
    They send the RAC but the vehicle has to be under 10 years old.

I'm using the pay monthly policy they do which has converted 1 years motorcycle NCB to 2 years car NCB in 8 months (which is transferable to others as a full 2 years NCB) and I'll gain 3 years NCB in August, only 16 months after I joined them with 1 year NCB! :)
  • Virgin insurance do - it knocked £1000 of my policy leaving it at £400 when i took at the policy at 18.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
  • wm123
    wm123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Sorry to bump a old thread but i have been looking to do this myself.
    But when i fill in quotes online i put in my no claims it says it cant be posible because i havent held my driving licence for over a year.

Id appreciate any knowlege on this subject as being able to use 2 years no claims as a 18 year old male would save me atleast £1k

Cheers :D
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Try ringing the companies listed above although do not bank on them being cheaper or your no claims bonus making a saving of £1000

Avoid Quinn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport