Warning high interest card 39.9 APR

This is to warn everyone of this extremely high interest rate. I received an email - today copied below:-

At Vanquis we think that more people should have the chance to have a credit if they want one. And that includes you - if your circumstances have recently changed, you've got little or no history, have had problems in the past, or just have a lower than average income.

All of our Visa cards come with:

- No annual fee
- Up to 56 days interest free on purchases
- Free additional cardholder
- Free fraud monitoring - we'll warn you of any suspicious activity on your account
- Chip & PIN technology for added security whenever you use your card
- Visa is widely accepted in the UK and abroad
- Convenient for paying online and over the phone
- Friendly UK call centres
- typical 39.9% APR

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Debt Free Date [STRIKE]December[/STRIKE] June 2019

GC January £0/£180

Comments

• This card is not designed to be competitive on the APR front. It is meant for those that cannot get credit anywhere else due to perceived risk. Borrowing on it would be a bad move but using it and paying off every month will help someone with no/damaged credit history.
    Do Something Amazing - Give Blood

• SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    In the same area are the Capital One 'Classic' card with an APR 34.9% and Barclaycard equivalent, also with a v high rate. The idea behind these cards is that they are available for people who would otherwise be refused credit.. i.e. bad or nonexistent credit rating. The high APR is because of the increased risk of these bad or unknown quantities. Whilst using a card like this to borrow money would be disastrous and never to be recommended, using it and paying off the full balance every month can get you started in terms of a credit rating and in time allow you to build a credit history that allows you to get better credit elsewhere.

Quite rightly people should be aware of the rates, and only spend on the card if it can be fully paid off...
  • Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • may be a bit thick but what does that mean in money terms

cheers sparkie45
  • No disrespect to any one,But people coming to the site that are new sometimes can't find old links concerning these issues.

I my self have been told sometimes "there are threads concerning this subject" and then get a link dated back to 2006.
  • ;)

Debbiedebt, I've had Vanquis since June last year, have never paid a penny interest and even had a late payment charge refunded in full the only time I ever missed a payment.

As Paul_Herring says, this is a common theme, and using the search facility at the top of the page would have brought more recent posts to your attention.
    It's good to be alert though and that you thought of sharing info with others :money:
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sparkie45 wrote: »
    may be a bit thick but what does that mean in money terms

cheers sparkie45

It means if you pay off the full balance each month you don't pay a bean in interest. However fi you don't you get stung for quite a bit, far more than the mainstream cards.

If you plan to pay off the card in full every month the interest rate is immaterial.
  • sparkie45 wrote: »
    may be a bit thick but what does that mean in money terms

cheers sparkie45

Hi Sparky, this website has an example calculator showing repayments - http://www.whatsthecost.com/creditCard.aspx

I googled that site, so not sure how good it is, but hopefully it gives some idea.

The golden rule is though, that if you don't borrow on Credit Cards, then the interest rate is insignificant!! Pay them off in full each month!!
  • Thanks jmbo26, you beat me to it!! :rotfl:
  • cheers for the link been offered one loads of times from capital one at 34.9 apr didnt understand what it was think i will leave it

cheers sparkie45
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport