Argos Television Warranty

Hi

I recently purchased a Sony Television from Argos. This was advertised with a three year guarantee.

The television was delivered on 21 June and I only found out on 3 July that there should have been a special leaflet in the box that was Argos/Sony warranty that had to be sent off recorded delivery within 30 days.

Since then I have been in contact with Argos to get this missing leaflet. They keep saying it is Sony's responsibility. But when I contact Sony they say they can't send it out as it is a special warranty between Argos and Sony and it is up to Argos to sort it out.

I sent a recorded delivery letter to Argos that was not even acknowledged. Then sent an email and was told by Argos on the 3 July that they had contacted Sony and the leaflet/warranty would arrive in 14 days.

Nothing has arrived, so I e-mailed Argos yesterday to be told it has nothing to do with them and I have to contact Sony????

By the time I get this warranty leaflet or if I ever do, it will out of the 30 day limit.

Does anyone know the Head Office of Argos or the Complaints Managers address as no-one else seems to know what they are talking about.

Thank you for your help.
I would

Comments

• Make a formal complaint to Trading Standards.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm sure all the leaflet does is give you a code to ring through to Sony with to extend the warranty. Have you tried just calling the Sony Extended warranty team directly to sort it rather than wait for the leaflet.
  • Make a formal complaint to Trading Standards.

Where should the complaint start then? The school OP went to for their inability to read?
  • BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Its Argos responsibility to give you the guarantee, it could be argued the tv was bought on the promise of a 3 year guarantee
  • Daveswife
    Daveswife Posts: 302 Forumite
    I too bought a Sony TV from Argos this year with the promise of a 3 year guarantee. Didn't know I had to register it as there was nothing in the box to indicate as such. I did keep a screen shot of my online purchase though, and it says clearly that it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Hopefully I won't need to use it!

DW ;)
    Blessed are the vegetarians.
  • Well if I was you I would sort it out asap! If anything goes wrong with the tv I doubt Sony will honour the guarantee unless it is registered.

I've written to Sara Weller Argos Ltd 489-499 Avebury Boulevard Saxon Gate West Central Milton Keynes MK9 2NW

Enclose a copy of the three year guarantee offer.

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately this is not an extended guarantee just with Sony, thats why they won't deal with it. Its between Argos/Sony and has to have an Argos authorisation.
  • Argos Customer Services are not at The Head Office in Milton Keynes and the switchboard there will not be able to help you as the Customer Services team are not even based there. Milton Keynes is an admin building only. Customer Services are based at Stafford.

For ALL Customer Complaints you will need to either;

Telephone:
    0845-640-2020 (Then choose Option 4 to speak to an advisor) OR
    Email :
    [EMAIL="enquiries@argos.co.uk"]enquiries@argos.co.uk[/EMAIL] OR
    Write to:
    The Correspondance Team,
    Argos Customer Services
    Argos Direct,
    Acton Gate,
    Stafford,
    ST18 9AR
  • I purchased a 50 inch Samsung Plasma from Argos, the Tv was advertised as having a 3 year warranty included. as for the warranty i received nothing in the post or by email and it didnt come with the Tv, so i contacted Argos and was told as long as i had the order no. and my receipt there would be no problems. 2 years later the pictures gone on the Tv. i contact Argos who say the warranty information was posted to me when i bought the Tv, as i didnt return it the warranty is void. 2 weeks 8 phone calls and 4 emails to Argos i now have to to get an accredited engineers report, at a cost of £96 send it recorded delivery then wait 7 to 10 days for Argos to contact me to discuss the next steps.
    Ive found out the first years warranty is covered by Samsung the next 2 years Argos takes out with the Alliance insurance company.

Please make sure your get your warranty.
  • :mad:I bought a 42 inch LCD telly instore again adverised with 3 year warranty in Dec 08. TV is now switching itself off after around an hour and a half and wont go back on for half an hour. AGAIN Argos failed to provide the leaflet needed to activate the warranty and again as over 60 days Allianz(?) will not honour the additional 2 years on the guarantee.

Also argos don't even have it on record that the TV had the additional warranty????

I am wondering how many times can they accidently forget to provide a leaflet and what courses of action remain open to me.
    Argos advised having the telly independently checked and if it is a manufacturing fault they will repair it provided within 6 years of purchase.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :mad:I bought a 42 inch LCD telly instore again adverised with 3 year warranty in Dec 08. TV is now switching itself off after around an hour and a half and wont go back on for half an hour. AGAIN Argos failed to provide the leaflet needed to activate the warranty and again as over 60 days Allianz(?) will not honour the additional 2 years on the guarantee.

Also argos don't even have it on record that the TV had the additional warranty????

I am wondering how many times can they accidently forget to provide a leaflet and what courses of action remain open to me.
    Argos advised having the telly independently checked and if it is a manufacturing fault they will repair it provided within 6 years of purchase.
    When you purchased the television and the extended warranty, did you check that you had some sort of confirmation of that warranty?

Or did you ask for some sort of confirmation of that warranty?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure