The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MikkyX wrote: »
    The conversation went round in circles, got a little heated, and ended with him saying I would have to prove I wasn't the person who owed the debt by sending them a copy of my passport and a letter with my signature on so that they could match it to the original documents, and me demanding THEY prove I'm liable for the debt before things proceed any further. Which they won't be able to do since I've had no dealings with HSBC.....

Do NOT send them anything. As I have previously stated - it is up to Red Debt to provide you with proof of any alleged debt - not the other way round.
    Once they have given you this information, we can best advise on how to deal with it.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • stapeley
    stapeley Posts: 2,315 Forumite
    Prime example why you should never phone these people! If an doubt just hit them with a CCA request . good luck
  • Kevicho
    Kevicho Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    I second Rog, keep a copy of the letter, but leave it to them to make further contact.

If they call you state that you only want to receive any form of contact in writing, and tell them this is a legal right, otherwise you will report them for harassment.

Also state you will be expecting £10 in compensation for telephone calls made, and also for stress due to this unsolicited post, otherwise you will be reporting them to the OFT for fraud, and say, as in my opinion, they are attempting to defraud you of money by post.

Finally if any letters do arrive, put back in the post saying not at this address, as technically this is true as they have a different initial for your name.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Red is part of the Lowell group, I think, and they are members of the Credit Services Association, who say their members abide by the OFT Debt Collection Guidance

http://www.csa-uk.com/csa/members-list.php

I think it might be worth a complaint to both the csa and the OFT. Strange how they agreed the date of birth matched their record even though they got your middle initial wrong. Get them to show you the signed agreement!
  • my husband too has had a letter out of the blue from red debt. it said he owed 1434.66 to barclaycard. my husband did have barclaycard along time ago paid in full. red said this debt is from 1996, we said we were contesting this debt, then recieved another letter saying barclaycard would accept 717.16. we still are contesting this debt. is it right after 6 years if not contested, the debt is dead
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    my husband too has had a letter out of the blue from red debt. it said he owed 1434.66 to barclaycard. my husband did have barclaycard along time ago paid in full. red said this debt is from 1996, we said we were contesting this debt, then recieved another letter saying barclaycard would accept 717.16. we still are contesting this debt. is it right after 6 years if not contested, the debt is dead

Have a read through the National Debtline factsheet on this. Link below.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=25_liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi wrote...
    Have a read through the National Debtline factsheet on this. Link below.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...limitation_act

I had a letter today from the same debt collection service & found this website very helpful. I rang the number & spoke to someone who is sending me details of what I need to do about it. I have never been in debt & it looks like I am the victim of identity theft.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    karen.r wrote: »
    I had a letter today from the same debt collection service & found this website very helpful. I rang the number & spoke to someone who is sending me details of what I need to do about it. I have never been in debt & it looks like I am the victim of identity theft.

Hi karen - I am pleased that you found the NDL information of use.
    I'm just confused about one point, though - perhaps I have misread your post, so could you please clarify. Is it 'Red'/'Lowell' who are sending you information about 'identity fraud' or National Debtline.
    If National Debtline - fine.
    If Red/Lowell - then please do not get involved. This could be a trick to ensnare you into admitting a 'debt' which is not yours.
    Problems of 'Identity Fraud' should only be dealt with between you, the original creditor (NOT A DCA) and the Police. Any of the Debt Counselling Charities will be pleased to advise.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • It's National Debtline who suspect identity theft, not Red. Thanks for the concern. I will make sure I don't send Red any information because I don't intend to pay anybody elses debts for them, I have enough of my own bills to pay.
  • Hi, I have skimmed down the responses - when you phoned did you call the number given (on letter), or HSBC direct? Or call into the bank.
    They have good systems for tracking down these spammy and fraudulent requests.
    Good luck.

Sue:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family