PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Ham in coke, done took 1 hour in pressure cooker. Yesterday day.

Last night....Turkey crown done, 25 mins in PC, cooled, sliced, doused in stock gravy ready to be reheated.

Brussels, done PC 3 mins, cooled, ready to be thrown in pan with bacon later.

Swede and carrots, done, PC 4 mins, mashed, cooled, ready to be reheated.

Stuffing, mixed and prepared ready to be cooked later.

Jars of various sauces assembled.

Homemade bread sauce made last night, took 10 mins.

Stock made from turkey bones and veg, PC, took 30 mins, cooled overnight, to make extra gravy with.

To be done, assemble pigs in blankets, PC spuds for roasts, open pack of Aunt Bessies Yorkshires :o and assemble on baking tray.:D

Friends are bringing dessert over, but I have an emergency back up dessert involving meringues, marscapone, cream and raspberries so no bother there.

Reheat, relax, enjoy, imbibe, collapse.

Send loving glances over towards my Pressure Cooker.:happylove:iloveyou::grinheart

Merry Christmas all.:xmassign::rudolf::wave:
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Nothing (well, except I have left over braised red cabbage in freezer, so we're using that up today)

Today I have peeled the veg (potatoes for roasting, carrots for honey glazing, parsnips for roasting and sprouts for pan frying with bacon), made cauliflower cheese, wrapped the pigs in blankets, made sausage meat stuffing, made Delia's bread sauce, draped bacon over the turkey and made a fruit flan for pud. It's just a bigger Sunday dinner, after all :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I made the yorshire pud batter, prep'd the veg, sauted the onions and mushrooms for the gravy and set the table. I was going to make wrap the pigs in their blankets but forgot so did them today during a quiet spell. I like to pre the veg so I can sit with the family more and not be working myself into a state like my mum used to.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ive merged this with our christmas dinner - preparing in advance thread so you can see what others do

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ive merged this with our christmas dinner thread

This post has heaps of links to help. Hope your dinner turned out ok :)

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• I hope no one minds me bumping this! I was looking for ideas that would stop me living in the kitchen all day on Christmas Day! Some fab ideas here, I finish work next week, I think I will make a start on my Xmas veg and start stocking the freezer ;) this thread has been a God-send!
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Great thread, just read it through start to finish :)
  • Christmas eve I cook my turkey, prep my veggies etc.
    I have a few cheats such as I buy prepared roast potatoes which just need to be cooked in goose fat, ready made rum sauce etc.
    Last year as my turkey was cooling on Christmas eve and I was at the Indian being rewarded for working hard my lovely big ridgeback decided she was taste the turkey to make sure it was ok. We came home to find it on the floor. Picture the scene driving all around Aberdeenshire Christmas eve at 7pm trying to find another one. Unfortunately my beautiful big girl passed away in February. The turkey should be safe. My beautiful little girl is too small to reach it
    :rotfl: l love this site!! :rotfl:
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'll put the ham in the slow cooker on Xmas eve night. It doesn't exactly need any of my attention :D. I might make up the stuffing in advance though, just mixed but not cooked. Mum is doing the veg, and MIL the turkey. Puddings are bought. Well, I've bought meringue nests and pastry cases but will make the fillings on the day, it's only a bit of cream to be whipped and some fruit or preserve to dole out.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've decided I'm going to make the veggie wellington from the Great British Bake Off. I've got the book from the library, and it looks quite easy. I can get it mainly done the day before. I've already made my puddings (the house smelled gorgeous when they were cooking :D)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure