Why register as disabled?

Comments

• You can "register" as disabled with social services. In my area you have to be assessed and then they give you a yellow card, which entitles you to a free bus pass. I don't know if the rules are the same for different local councils.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are right, a few local authorities still operate a registration system, but most don't these days. Under the old registration system the definition of 'disabled' was much more restricted - basically you had to have a physical condition that meant that you had difficulty walking (hence the universal sign of a person in a wheelchair). Under the Disability Disacrimination Act 1995 the definition is much wider and encompasses people with illnesses and medical conditions that have a substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out certain day to day tasks, so a person can be 'disabled' within the meaning of the DDA, even though their ability to walk is not affected.

Once the DDA came in the registration system was dropped by most local authorities.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Babshubbie wrote: »
    I read with interest the "sticky" on what the definition of disabled is, but I wonder what are the benefits of registering as disabled for older, retired people.

My wife, aged 78, broke her neck l6 months ago, leaving her with extremely limited movement in her right arm, shoulder and leg. Apart from medical attention (Physiotherapy) and attendence allowance, we get no help. I am 81 and get no carers allowance and because we have some savings, we have to pay a cleaner, gardener and handyman.

Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?

Any advice on sources of assistance would be gratefully received.[When your wife applied for the Blue Badge she should have been assessed by the Social Services or perhaps called Adult services.You should ask them for a Carers Assessment you have a Statutory right to this.For some time I wasnt convinced of the value of this but in this area of West yorkshire it can now lead to some quite substantial cash benefits.They were issuing vouchers worth up to £300 per year but because people were finding it difficult to find people they could use the vouchers with they now give cash.
    They can also advise on respite provision perhaps for a few hours or maybe longer for which funding is also available.
    Whilst carers Allowance is only of advantage if you are entitled to means-tasted benefits through the Carers premium dont be too quick to wtite off Pension Credit because you have savings as the rules now are much more generous
  • When your wife applied for the Blue Badge she should have been assessed by the Social Services or perhaps called Adult services.You should ask them for a Carers Assessment you have a Statutory right to this.For some time I wasnt convinced of the value of this but in this area of West yorkshire it can now lead to some quite substantial cash benefits.They were issuing vouchers worth up to £300 per year but because people were finding it difficult to find people they could use the vouchers with they now give cash.
    Whilst carers Allowance is only of advantage if you are entitled to means-tasted benefits through the Carers premium dont be too quick to wtite off Pension Credit because you have savings as the rules now are much more generous

Any benefits are means tested, here at any rate. And if the carer is over pensionable age, no allowance is payable, presumably because the chore of caring is not preventing the individual from going out to a job, his/her age does that.

But thanks, Jim, for your contribution.
  • You can also get a blue badge if you are register blind or partially sighted. I have one for my son who is 9 years old and registered blind.
    back to comping :beer:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yogibear wrote: »
    You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge

I have a relative who doesn't claim any benefits but she has a Blue Badge because of a knee problem.
  • trejoy
    trejoy Posts: 74 Forumite
    In reply to Horace, I am registered partially-sighted and can no longer drive. You get free tax on a car that is used primarily for your benefit, so my hubbie is now my chauffer. He cannot use the car to travel back and fore work, (he takes train). By registering as partially-sighted I was able to claim a free bus pass, I have a CEA card for the cinema, (carer goes free). You are also able to get free loft and cavity wall insulation. I also get free eye tests.
    About blue badges, your doctor has to approve it. I have one as he said that it was dangerous for me to walk across car parks. I do also have mobility probs.
    Hope helps:rotfl:
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Yogibear wrote: »
    You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge and a car you only have to put fuel in it,you can get a Blue Badge as well if you get Attendance Allowance

No you don't. My husband has a blue badge but doesn't claim DLA.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Under the old registration system the definition of 'disabled' was much more restricted - basically you had to have a physical condition that meant that you had difficulty walking

Actually, that's not true. My dad was registered disabled for years because he had slightly crippled hands. He was a postman and walked miles every day!
  • I, too, have a Blue Badge, but only receive IB. Maybe different Councils have different criteria for issuing these?
    I can't remember there being any questions about benefits onthe application form, only questions about disabilities. they issued mine super quick too as I enclosed a supporting letter from my GP.
    I haven't applied for DLA as I find the form far too daunting. I've picked up a form at least 6 times, but find it so difficult to complete.
    I have SLE, Reynaulds, MCTD and a T-Cell Lymphoma.
    I must come from bad stock!!
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills