Have you saved money? Want to tell the world?

Comments

• Since my dad's health isn't great and he is quite useless at managing his finances he has left insurance policies for me to deal with. Today I managed to switch his home insurance to the Post Office, saving him almost £100 on his renewal price! And I also bagged 1,000 Nectar points for myself! :) I also saved myself £4 off a £10 shop using vouchers on things that I would usually buy, so I'm very happy today!
  • sams247
    sams247 Posts: 1,111
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Since joining this site xx amount of time ago I have saved in so many ways, and not least this site has, on more than one occasion, saved my sanity! I was directed here many moons ago by a debt advisor, and I have never looked back. At that time I was desperate, hounded by people I owed money too, drowning in further debt, it was all closing in and was having a huge negative effect, I didnt know what to do, I certainly had no clue as to my rights and I had no voice against the bullies phoning me day after day.

I read and learnt on here, I spoke to people, asked questions, and over the months I started to turn things around for myself. I eventually went bankrupt, but this was the right thing for me to do, and I did it with an open view, with a lot of help and support and I knew exactly what to do and what to expect at each stage.

I have saved on insurance, on holidays countless times, on food many many times, on utlitiies. In fact I barely make a financial decision, or even a home/life decision without being sure I know the best step forward - and I come on here to research.

I must have saved hundreds and hundreds of pounds. But more than that I have started to become a real life saver - I have small but significant savings in a little ISA, and I have a savings pot with all my £2 coins in that pay for my holidays along with my ebay sales (I dont go on holiday until I can pay for it - no credit!) And I am rebuilding my credit rating. I am sorting out a pension.

My life has truly taken a better path since coming here, and I am very grateful for that debt advisor so long ago, and to everyone on here who supports, posts and seeks out those nifty little bargains.

:)
      To those who are given much, much is expected
    1. such a informative conversation this is..! keep it up people :)
    2. Just bought a galaxy note and smart tv with stand and a blu ray player used several combined discounts think I done well firstly I get10% off currys cos nephew works there so what I did was did a bit of research on my purchases seen tv it had £150 off its price in currys blu ray was £40 off and got 25%off stand for tv becauseI bought tv and blu ray which saved me £28 then got£100 cashback from Samsung also but then I went to Morrison's and got giftcards I got 1230 pounds worth of gift cards which I split between two transactions but can be used together when redeeming them don't drive so gave them to brother in law he has saved 70 litres @1.23= £ 86.10 also changed from sky referred girlfriend to virgin media she got 1st month free and 6 month half price I got £50 for referring her her so I think I did quite well lol my discount at curry was£140 thanks to my nephew and I got the first month covet on insurance for free which I will cancel anyway and extra tenner cos I was short and free delivery
    3. sweetilemon
      sweetilemon Posts: 2,243
      First Anniversary Combo Breaker
      Forumite
      Had a 30 day virgin rolling phone contract... £15 for 500mins, 1GB web & unlimited texts. Saw a deal on their website, £12 for 1200mins, 1GB web and unlimited texts. I phoned them (free) and they changed the deal over! Saved £3pm and have more mins! Yey.
    4. Just want to say thanks :money:- I thought I wasn't able to reclaim PPI as I was self employed for a time.I heard Martin on a radio show and realised I might have a claim - I'm now £6,500 better off! I receive the weekly newsletter and have just purchased the Body Shop bundle at an amazing price - thanks to your blagged discount deal.Merry Christmas to you all!
    5. I have saved 250$ which i refund from my company.
    6. I have just bought a new mobile contract with vodafone and used the following savings;
      £70 cashback with quidco
      3.6% cashback on Monthly payments with quidco
      20% off monthly payments with my work company
      50% extra off monthly payments for the 1st 3 months (vouchercode)
      and an extra 10% off as i'm a student!
    7. Cheers Martin! Followed your golden rule - don't auto renew on car insurance. Did a comparison (confused.com) and saved a whopping £541!! and got 2000 nectar points for the pleasure woooooooohoooooooo!
    8. Yesterday I went for treat with my colleague and as per Martin's advise I used coupons to save my money it was really enjoyable treat in cheap amount. Thank you martin for providing such a helpful resource for me.

:money:Jonathan Bentz
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
    • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
    • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 172.8K Life & Family
    • 247.4K Travel & Transport