price of knocking down wall

morning all

i know it might be a "how long is a piece of string" kinda question.. but just wondered if any one might know how much its costs for a builder to knock down a supporting wall in the house??

we know that we have to call out this structual person who said he charges £180 just for the call out.. who will calculate how big the RSJ will need to be

so im just thinking am i looking into the thousands for this wall or hundereds

we currently have a room next door to our kitchen that doesnt really do anything.. to small to be a sitting room.and to dark to be a nice morning room
so we thought we would make a nice big kitchen and have one end as a family area,
but when we are thinking about these ideas you dont realise how much they will cost :eek:

Comments

• When we had a similar job done last summer it came to £900 for the wall to be knocked down, a steel joist to be put in, and the necessary plastering. We'd also had to move two radiators which were on either side of the 'hole' - £250, and finally, the flooring needed to be relaid.

HTH

S13
  • ouch!!.. i thought as much that it would cost that !!!

we also have a radiator on one side that would have to be moved..

oh well good job im on mse .. have to start saving pennies even more now !!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    i would think 500/1000 would be about right. anything over a 1000 would be expensive.
    Get some gorm.
  • Just done the same in my house on Thursday, cost £160 for 8x4 rsj at 3.9m long delivered.
    6 Acros £10 each from ebay.
    £80 for my builder who moved the rad aswell on the same day. We strted at 10:30, finished at 4. I did get some help from a couple of friends for 1/2 hr to lift the steel in place.
    I have just done 5 trips in the car to the dump to cear all the rubble which was in rubble sacks.
    That does not inc the finish like plaster as i have got to do the whole of the down stairs anyway. Just brick and steel on show.

I will sell the Arcos on when i am finished.

Cost about £230 with petrol and cafe cost.

Got pics if you want to see.

Sm
    Updated: Sorry i had my SE and my BC all ready sort as it was part of ext on going building works, so could add that to the cost if it was the only thing you was doing.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I don't know where you're all getting your builders but I had this done too.

The plans cost about £500 - to calculate the beam.
    Building regs cost about £300
    & the builder charged £3,000 to knock down wall & make good plastering affected.
    We had the rad moved seperately by another man, a plumber.

Builders price included the RSJ which was just over £300, its 6 meters.
  • Hi All,
    any idea of websites that I can get quotes for RSJ's?
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    ccapone wrote: »
    Hi All,
    any idea of websites that I can get quotes for RSJ's?
    You're forgiven for resurrecting a three year old thread rather than start a new one as its your first post. :D

CLICKY

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure