Kirby vacuum cleaner scam

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    My ex worked for Kirby around 25 years ago. He did about 3 weeks or so, zillions of demonstrations, for which he was supposed to get a fee for each one (as opposed to commission only). He finally had enough, was working all the hours God sent for less than dole, so resigned. They refused to pay him, so he said ok I'll keep the vacuum..... came round mob-handed, and in the end were so abusive I called the police. They were having a quiet day, so sent round 3 squad cars, with 4 burley policemen in each.

Neighbours had a field day.... but ex never did get paid, and he had to give the cleaner back..
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    never heard of these appaling sales tatics by kirby staff, however i used one every day for 3 years in my previous place of work (residential home where it can get very messy!)

and i must say apart from the fact it weighs a tonne and its like carrying a solid steel girder up the stairs which was very hard, it vaccums the carpets immaculately the carpets look really fresh after a going over with it. It was an old model too and it never broke down in the three years i was there.

However if i was to buy a vaccum i wouldnt go for it. After seeing the price of it i would never ever pay that much for a vaccum. There are some pretty decent vax bagless vaccums about. We used to have a dyson top of the range and it broke almost every month
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • mrcrow
    mrcrow Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2011 at 10:28PM
    I used to demo and sell Kirbys in Cornwall in 1984...they were around £400 then...and at that time quite expensive..

I am not pitching but what you get is what you pay.

KIrby is an industrial machine heavy on the american big is best approach

I still have my 84 red bag Heritage II model and have just shampoo'd my daughters carpets and gave them the rug renovater treatment.

I bought the full kit and found it covered a lot of home applications including dry cleaning...with the foam gun ...and spraying the walls with wallpaper remover with the spray gun

Its had one new motor and a suction fan impeller, loads of bags and a few belts.

It is scarred and the wheels wouldnt pass the mot...but it has been every bit a tool as a power drill or a saw.

I would recommend one...but not pay the price...try Ebay and if you can get one with the whole kit...you wont be stuck for an all round suction motor on wheels to which you add various suction and blowing attachments

cheers
    geof

need some new carpet shampoo concentrate and hopefully the successful scuttle...brilliant all round smudge free cleaning spray
    :)
  • hmmmm Now I'm a little worried, I've got an interview in a few days for a service engineers position with Kirby. I'd never heard of them before so did a bit of digging, well I don't like what I'm reading, I'm even wondering if this job is for a service engineer or is it for a sales rep. I was a little worried when I read the job vacancy, it was a little light on detail and got an interview right away when I phoned.

Well I guess I'll see what's what.
  • you have stated in you column regarding the Kirby the Kirby it self is a fantastic machine the features the Kirby has enables you to do what you are supposed to be doing with you normal vacuum why would you pay £400 for a dyson or £100 odd quid for something thats not going to pick up the dust or rubbish or the biggest problem we currently have in our homes dust mites! The guy that introduced Dysons ( James ) him self has got 3 Kirby's in his Gloucester shire house that in it self should tell you something people get very easily lead by the way things are marketed James Dyson is a very good market campaigner and has done well in selling Dysons but if they don't do what they are supposed to do then why pay such money for them???

Now I don't expect for a second that any of you clued-up moneysavers will fall victim to this but I'm hoping that you will spread the word and maybe bear it in mind for any older relatives/friends etc.
    You are at home one day when there is a knock at your door. You open it and someone says something like 'we are a new company in the area, would you like to enter into a free prize draw to win a car? All you have to do is give me your phone number to help build up our database'. If you agree and provide your phone number, you are given a small card with a picture of a car on the front.
    A few days later you receive a phone call and the caller says something like 'you have won a free carpet clean/carpet shampoo in our prize draw'. If you agree to receive it, an appointment is made for a later date. If the appointment goes ahead as planned, you will realise that the free carpet clean is really just a chance for a salesman to demonstrate a very expensive vacuum cleaner to you for 2 hours or more, all the while criticising your current vacuum cleaner, asking if you are happy to live in filth, putting the fear of God into you about fires caused by dust build-up etc. If you unfortunately succumb to the high-pressure sales pitch, you will find yourself out of pocket to the tune of at least £1,500 and your statutory right to cancel will be denied.
    Please remember this and tell anyone you think appropriate - more people knowing about this means fewer people falling victim and the company will be forced to either deal honestly or close down.
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    you have stated in you column regarding the Kirby the Kirby it self is a fantastic machine the features the Kirby has enables you to do what you are supposed to be doing with you normal vacuum why would you pay £400 for a dyson or £100 odd quid for something thats not going to pick up the dust or rubbish or the biggest problem we currently have in our homes dust mites! The guy that introduced Dysons ( James ) him self has got 3 Kirby's in his Gloucester shire house that in it self should tell you something people get very easily lead by the way things are marketed James Dyson is a very good market campaigner and has done well in selling Dysons but if they don't do what they are supposed to do then why pay such money for them???

Oh dear! So the only cleaner that picks up the dust is a Kirby, and all the others are rubbish. If that were the case, consumers would no longer buy the rubbish, and the only cleaner on the Market would be a Kirby.

The fact is, although the Kirby is an efficient machine, it does no more or no less than most of the market leaders. Where it differs is it is grossly overpriced in order to pay salesmen's commission.

This is a moneysaving forum,and you can save a huge amount by buying a cheaper vacuum cleaner.

I once witnessed a Kirby sales meeting, where all the sales people were being psyched up by chanting and shouting slogans in the typical and agressive American way. If the machine were THAT good, there would be no need to do this, it would sell itself. Which is why you can't go and see and buy it on the high street. It needs many hours of 'hard sell' by a salesman sitting in your home drinking your coffee.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    malkie76 wrote: »
    This isn't a scam.

Ohhh yes it is!

Anyone who knocks on your door uninvited trying to sell you anything is a scammer.

Follow that rule an you won't go wrong.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Money_User
    Money_User Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2011 at 9:13AM
    withabix wrote: »
    Ohhh yes it is!

Anyone who knocks on your door uninvited trying to sell you anything is a scammer.

Follow that rule an you won't go wrong.

Not quite they're salesman.

I'm sure more or less every electricity company has door to door sales men, have you dissconnected your supply yet because they're a scam?

I personnally don't buy from the door but what you just said is complete b*******! I'll do a comparson site search on Google, then go via a cashback site after clearing my cookies.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2011 at 9:49PM
    Money_User wrote: »
    Not quite they're salesman.

Door-to-door salesmen are invariably scammers and conmen in my opinion.

Can't market something legitimately and want more than the going rate? Knock on doors instead.

Anyone who comes to my door trying to sell something gets told where to go, rudely, because they must also have an inability to read the sign next to the doorbell.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Signed up just for this special occasion, with very very special offers, from me, you can get this machine for just 1500, that is a whole 25% off the original price.

Nah only kidding :A

The other day I saw an advert on the Jobsite, and one a week previous in the local paper (The Sentinel) in Stoke. They were both advertising for 'delivery drivers', on £1200 a month. I thought yeah that's good it gives me some good money until I can find something proper (on part time work at the moment, thinking of going back to college to do an apprenticeship).

Anyway the story gets better now, my girlfriend rang up (not even me :o), asking if the position was still available, yes it was, I had an 'interview' the next morning. I didn't begin to suspect anything yet, being my naive self :D, so off I trotted to wash and iron my suit for this 'interview'.

The company was called 'Unity Distribution' based in Longport, but for some reason google searches show that it thinks it's based in Crewe. So I drove through a horrible industrial estate, trying to find this business, finally I came across a grotty builduing with the sign of the company above it. OK, not a good start but still not that suspicious. Followed signs for 'Unity Distribution interviews upstairs', and went into their office and filled in a form with my details. There were three of us waiting, a middle aged man, a young lad who'd just passed his driving test and me, in my shiny suit.

Got chatting to the lad, then he was called up, five minutes later it was me. I strolled over in my suit :p, into another office, where some bloke invited me in.

I sat down and there were a few things that he said which stick out the most, firstly it was just a 'pre-lim interview' and if I was 'successful' then I would be invited back on Monday for a group interview. He asked me several questions in this short chat, tested my maths with a question out of the blue, mentioned about the company being in over 60 countries blah blah blah (I still wasn't suspicious, unbelievable), then he asked ME what job I had applied for. Thought yes, that was a bit of a weird question, but I ploughed along, 'delivery driver my kind sir', what do you want out of this job? 'Honestly? A full time job would be nice', then he rudely interupts my blinding honesty and says that they are after people 'looking for careers not just jobs' (Maybe I should highlight these key phrases, for future gullible, honest, suit wearing :T young gentlemen who fall for vague job adverts like this).

Anyyyyyway, he asked me if having a career is what interests me, well of course it does sir, I'm a suit wearing, naive 20 year old who recently dropped out of uni, with no real direction. (And no still not doubtful of this mans credentials or anything, this comes later in my fabulous story). So the story starts to unfold, after asking me to describe myself in one word, just about managing to refrain myself from saying suit-wearing (I added a line, surely it makes it one word?), I said determined, which iin my defence would be an extremely good word to use in an interview for a real job. He shook my hand, said he'd ring me between 7 and 8 if I was 'successful' and have earnt my place in the real interview. So I rolled out of the room, all confident and proud in my suit (I never said, I was wearing my addidas trainers with them, I forgot to change to my nice suit matching ;) pointy black shoes).

Lo and behold, I get the phone call later that evening inviting me to the interview. Now out of my suit, and in my atonishingly fashionable Stoke City replica shirt, some jeans and the same Addidas trainers, I am happy, I have an interview for a 'career', maybe I will make something of myself.

NOW, finally, it is about an hour later, still in my Stoke City replica shirt :D, my suspicions start. I was being a good boy, and though I should do some research about the company before the interview (You know what, I actually knew absolutely rat all about who I'd got an interview with), searching 'Unity Distribution Longton' came up with mainly business listings, and a link to the AV forums, whatever that may be. After hours of reseraching I came across the AV forums, and a shifty looking myspace page, entitled 'Unity'. Again all the keywords came up on the myspace page, without much actual info about the company, apart from the word 'Sentria', which inevitably led me to 'kirby' and a whole massive huge, gigantic, enormous divine-like can of worms.

I know I'm writing an essay here, but bare(bear?) with me, it's a Sunday night and Traffic Cops is on Dave once again. So I am extremely suspicious now, but I'm thinking, I will go to the interview on Monday, for the craic, see how he describes the job, you enevr know I might be completely off the mark here, and I'll get to wear my fantastic stripey suit, with my matching, extremely hazardous pointy shoes.

I changed my mind at approximately 1400 hours on Sunday, I don't know what it was, maybe it was the heavy drinking session up Hanley last night, with free champagne (The bottle said champagne, but it was 5.5% and tasted strikingly similar to the ever so upmarket tipple of Lambrini), but my mind cleared. Siting on the sofa at my mums, watching Stoke hammer Newcastle on Match of the Day, I realised, I couldn't be arsed.

Not quite the end, sorry folks. Later on I told my girlfriends grandparents that I wasn't going, I thought it sounded extremely dodgy and I didn't want to get cornered into it. (Stacking shelves at Morrisons is still so much better than this con) With a look of concern they asked me why? Why don't you go to this interview in your suit and matching razor sharp shoes? That's when I mentioned the K-word (It rhymes with Furby). The moment I said it, groans of disgust went flying around the room. Bemused, I in my Stoke City hoodie, pondered 'Why is one disgusted with this extermely reputable company?'.

Long story short (yeah right :D), they have had that 'raffle' thing, and won a free carpet shampoo, with intimidation as a compulsory extra. They didn't fall for it, they are far to clever and strong to get swept away by this. Anyway they showed me a few websites, with very similar stuff to what you bunch have said. By now I had already decided I wasn't going, but this just sickened me more than anything, I could never try to sell an unneeded product, at an extortionate price to an easily intimidated elderly lady (And neither would most people, plus I wouldn't do this to anybody, but the elderly are more susceptible to this filth).

So the name's Unity Distribution, it's based in Longport, Stoke-On-Trent, they place very vague job adverts hoping to entice you in, and it's easy to get an interview.

The main reason for this stupidly long and pathetic essay/rant is to make sure that people can find information about this company, which has been lacking on the internet, and not to fall into the net that they set out, I reckon a load of people have taken up this job without actually being aware of what it entails. Plus I reckon if you wear a suit with matching pointy shoes you are a shoe-in :D.

Sorry about that folks :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport