Cleaning Glass on a wood burning stove

Comments

• I scrape it off with a stanley knife blade then polish with window/glass cleaner.....
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
  • my glass cleans dead easily with damp kitchen roll.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
  • if your just burning logs normally wipe with wet rag is fine
  • jess1974
    jess1974 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    I have never cleaned mine, it looks okay to me, actually it seems to clean itself...
  • mirrorimage0
    mirrorimage0 Posts: 3,918 Forumite
    lemon juice and ash with newspaper
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • TimJS
    TimJS Posts: 1 Newbie
    Vinegar and ash seemed to be working for me, but as the stains were well established was hard work. I took the front off, laid it down and covered it for 15-30 minutes with a piece of kitchen towel roll soaked in vinegar. The stain was then much easier to remove by scraping with a blade and cleaning with ash and paper.
  • John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Do it the night you have chips:rotfl:
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • When the stove is cold, use vinegar with wire wool to help remove the stubborn tar stains from the glass, and then remove the residue with paper towel. We did this carefully so that it didn't scratch the glass surface, and were really impressed with the results.

Afterwards, when using the stove, keep the vents open to slow-down the build-up.
  • I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner.
    Spray it on the glass,leave for 30 mins and the build up on the glass just wipes off,leaving it clean and sparkling.
    That way there is no hard work involved:j
    Owing on CC £00.00 :j

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
  • LittleTinker
    LittleTinker Posts: 2,841 Forumite
    Using Mr Muscle and Hobbrite type products are not MSE and are not environmentaly friendly either.

Use wire wool with an ash and vinegar paste and scrub over. Rinse off with warm water and polish up with newspaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure