Nationwide Flexclusive Saver 5

Options

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not as bad as it could have been, but mine is still going to live in my Santander 123 account...
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah, only an option if your Santanders 123s and Lloyds and BoS and TSB Vantages are full...which for quite a few people they are, so it's great there is a 2% account when the rest is max 1.5% for instant access
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    On the Nationwide reg saver, is there a maximum amount you can use to open the account? Is that also £1000? Or are you able to open it with a larger sum & then credit up to £1000 a month?
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a £1000 per month max, so if you open it with £1000 you've immediately reached your first month's limit. There's no provision for opening it with a larger sum, -I don't know of any regular saver accounts which would allow that.
  • typistretired
    Options
    beansy wrote: »
    Thank you.

I stopped paying into ours when the Flexclusive saver came out but just noticed this is paying a higher rate than our 15 yr Loyalty Saver @ 2.10% so I have reinstated our mthly payments. :)

I hope you have opened a flexdirect account paying 5.00% AER (4.89% gross p.a.) in-credit interest on balances up to £2,500 (fixed for the first 12 months)1
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Would I be correct in saying, if you only have a fixed amount of £1000 to save, you could earn an average 2.25% by keeping it in the Regular Saver 2.5% and the Flexclusive Saver 5 2% in alternating months?

So in odd months you will increase the balance from £0 to £1000 (earning 2.5%) while in even months the balance will be reduced from £1000 to £0, but the £1000 will be earning 2%.

I have £3500 in the old 6% reg saver which is becoming 2%, but only another £3000 (after maxing out everything else), so I'm not sure what the best strategy would be.

How much should I deposit each month so I can increase the balance by at least £500 per month without running out of money but still maximising the interest? Is there a time when I should withdraw all of it back into the 2% saver and then dripfeed into the 2.5% reg saver starting from £0?
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    I would use the Regular Saver Dripfeed calculator to work out the possible numbers.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts#savingscalc

I would also use put £2,500 into a FlexDirect if I didn't have one already. And I would then most likely try a second and possibly third FlexDirect since rumour has it people get the 5% AER in more than one of them. In any case, I would only bother with the 2% and 2.5% accounts if I had run out of options with the Nationwide, and non-Nationwide, interest-paying current accounts.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    It's a £1000 per month max, so if you open it with £1000 you've immediately reached your first month's limit. There's no provision for opening it with a larger sum, -I don't know of any regular saver accounts which would allow that.

There are occasionally regular saver accounts that do allow a larger opening deposit. I don't know of any currently available, but in the past we've seen the Santander First Home Saver and Stroud & Swindon Regular Saver Plus, both of which allowed (from memory) £5k opening deposit and then £300/250 per month.

You are right to say that the opening balance of a NBS regular saver counts towards your first month's limit though.
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »

Apols for putting the same thing in 2 threads!:
    I rang their customer services this afternoon & they told me there's no limit on the opening amount (up to the £5million maximum)!
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    Please read my response in the other thread. You were told porkies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure