PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2011 at 9:50AM
    Morning all, big welcome to new posters and I hope you will all find support and tips aplenty here. Do read back as much as you can of the last thread, there is a lot of inspiring stuff...
    For those who aren't aware, I will be running a New Year Challenge from the 6th of Janurary until Easter, with weigh ins every Friday. Joining in is not at all compulsory, feel free to follow the thread without taking part in the challenge, but we had great success with the Christmas one (well, other people did :o) and it seems to be a good way of keeping on track.

Fuddle (haven't been on the other thread yet) - I came on this morning as I had been kicking myself all night for what I said on the other thread (I often come across more blunt than I intend!), I was worried I'd upset you and have a mob after my head today... I'm so glad you took it the way it was meant...
    It is very easy to keep getting a little bigger each year and put it down to ageing, get comfortable in the bigger clothes and avoid the scales...
    Please do stay on this thread, we'd love to have you. 7lb for the challenge would be 1/2lb a week which is very acheiveable and about what I managed on the last one, it's best to lose slowly then it will stay off, though anything from 1/2 to 2lb a week is considered healthy I find losing 2lb a week needs a LOT of exercise unless you are very overweight.
    Welcome (and sorry xx)
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    No need to be sorry hun. It was what I needed to hear. I did just accept my size because I am lazy. I did just give up on myself because I am lazy. I accepted because I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. When you have confidence issues it's all too easy to put on a 'I'm happy' front. I am determined to be happier in my head this year, be in control. The weight issue is the last bit of me that I should sort because if I don't it will bring me down.

It was a shock to read what you wrote for about 5 seconds but I found myself nodding, looked for your posts and followed you to this thread. I needed that kick ;) Thank you misses :)
  • JBD
    JBD Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Good morning everyone!
    Fuddle no one has to accept their weight, whatever age they are. I am 51 and it is never to late to improve your health. best of luck to you.
    I have just weighed myself. I am 11stones 5, so my target for the new challenge will be 17 pounds. That will take me to a healthy BMI. Thank you for setting the new challenge up Ragz.
    Best of luck to everyone !
  • ragz_2
    edited 7 April 2012 at 11:20AM
    ]Weight Loss Old Style New Year Challenge

I will repost this next Friday, the official first day of the challenge. If you want to start now and declare a loss next week, that's fine. If you want to get the festivities fully over with and declare your target on the first WI, that's fine too. Anyone is free to join at any time during the challenge, I will just add names and targets to the list as they are posted. If you change your target let me know.

Each friday I will re-post The List, with updates on everyone's progress. Please declare your loss so I can easily see it if we get busy (something like this 1lb loss for me!), if you miss the Friday I'm happy to add to the list at any time.
    Losses will be noted on The List and a little badge :) awarded for each pound.

A word on targets - The challenge runs for 13 weeks from Jan 6th or 14 weeks if you start today. A healthy weight loss of 1/2 to 2lb a week is advised. Be aware when setting your target that despite your best efforts, you will not lose every week. For those of us with devilish hormones, the best you can hope for is 3 out of 4, some weeks you will have a hard time sticking to your plans, some weeks you will be ill, some weeks you will do really well and still STS or even gain for no apparent reason. It happenes. Accept it now. It is best to have a realistic target that you can feel good about meeting/getting close to than to set a high one that will defeat you...

A NEW CHALLENGE HAS STARTED FROM POST 1703

As for the rest of the thread, for those of you new to it, feel free to post your food diary for the day if you feel it will help. Some people do this, some don't, but I do find it helps to keep on track if you aren't tracking in other ways. If you have a nice recipe please post it (if it's your own) or link to it, as we all seem to get stuck in a food rut sometimes...
    Any tips, hints, links, general support etc is very welcome. I will try to introduce Old Style related weight loss topics occasionally if the thread seems to be lacking in interesting content ;)
    2 adults, 3 teens
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Menu's and shopping lists? That makes me worry. I have already done mine for the month. I don't want to be getting into the '1 meal for me something different for the rest of the family' so I was wondering if I could eat the same as them but use a tea plate size portion. Would that work?

Also, it's going to be difficult a the moment as there's very little fresh stuff in the house and we're eating frozen and canned stuff right now. I have lunch ear marked as a jacket potato with tuna, no mayo and no butter melted. Breakfast will be porridge but it's a sachet with golden syrup flavour already added. Will do better but need to get the things in.
  • ragz_2
    edited 30 December 2011 at 10:45AM
    Useful Links For Old Style Weight Loss

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links

Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    Caloriecount
    The rest on google

Free printable food diary
    Printable portion guide

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator

If you find a useful link please post it and I'll add it to this list.
    2 adults, 3 teens
  • Hi all, please can you add me too. I am going to attempt to lose 14lbs over the course of the challenge starting from January 2nd so just over a 1lb a week. What appeals to me about this thread is it is about sensible healthy long term eating and exercise and that is what I need. I have always been prone to all or nothing and then give up when I can't lose massive amounts in a short period of time. I know I am 15 stone something, I hope it is not a high 15 something now after christmas! I'll be back with an accurate weight. I am going to focus on exercise too so will have to take some measurements. I carry a lot of weight around my middle, which is very unhealthy so I am going to have a particular target to decrease that particular measurement.

Fuddle / ragz your dialogue has spoke volumes to me, I too am in my early thirties and have had a baby. I feel like I have let myself go and have given up on ever being able to look nice. I love clothes and shoes but have not interest in any of those things at the moment because feel at a size 20 (bordering on 22) I can't look nice in anything. My goodness, that is depressing writing that down :(. Still feeling sorry for myself isn't going to get this weight off is it?

Will be back soon x
  • ragz_2
    edited 30 December 2011 at 10:50AM
    fuddle wrote: »
    Menu's and shopping lists? That makes me worry. I have already done mine for the month. I don't want to be getting into the '1 meal for me something different for the rest of the family' so I was wondering if I could eat the same as them but use a tea plate size portion. Would that work? Definitely. There's no need to do seperate meals, although I sometimes add extra veg/salad to mine instead of chips.

Also, it's going to be difficult a the moment as there's very little fresh stuff in the house and we're eating frozen and canned stuff right now. I have lunch ear marked as a jacket potato with tuna, no mayo and no butter melted. Breakfast will be porridge but it's a sachet with golden syrup flavour already added. Will do better but need to get the things in.

To be honest, as long as you don't have really high fat meals every day (and have smaller portions, if portions are an issue for you) it isn't the main meals you have to worry about. Most extra calories sneak in as unhealthy snacks, fizzy drinks, puddings and ALCOHOL. You can tweak you main meals as you go along, to make them higher fibre and lower fat, but you will be learning how to eat for LIFE, not just for weight loss, and good habits take time. Tackle snacks and drinks first, throw in a little EXERCISE and you should start to see results.

Identify you own weaknesses and work on them. If you always have a bar of chocolate mid afternoon, try swapping it for something healthier. If you have a huge serving of pasta, try halving it and having more veg. Measuring your portions can be eye opening.
    Watch out for sugar - apart from being stored as fat if not used for energy, it plays havoc with your blood sugar levels and insulin, causing mood swings, tiredness and can cause overeating. I always used to dismiss sugar as being harmless but having done a lot of reading about it I realise it really does do a lot of harm when not needed. So out with the sugary drinks!

DragonLily - welcome, and well done for joining,. You've taken the first step... it's not always easy to admit you aren't happy with yourself...
    2 adults, 3 teens
  • Ragz please count me in for 14 lbs till Easter as I think that is doable although I need to lose more I will take it slowly which I hope will be healthier and stay off.

Thanks for starting this thread and for all your hard work keeping us informed.:A

DC xx
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :D hi everyone, hope you all had a good xmas.
    i haven't posted for ages but do still read most days. there were some fab loses in your last challenge :T:T
    i weighed myself this morning for the first time in ages and at 11.12 i have a stone to lose. (i am 5.10 and am happy at 11st or thereablouts)
    so please put me down for 14lb and i promise to stick with it this time :D
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport