PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

how hard is it to exchange and complete on the same day?

i am hoping to move house soon. everything is nearly inplace but should all be sorted by mid week. How hard is it to exchange contracts and complete on the same day and how much extra would it cost?

It has been a really crap ride so far and we just want to get into the new house as quick as possible.

The chain is:

first time buyer is getting ours and the one we are buying is empty.
Mortgage free Start amount feb 2014 227000. Current amount nov 2014 217000.

Challenges 2015
No alcohol January. No spend February
Write down all spends over the whole year

Comments

• lostfarmer
    lostfarmer Posts: 72 Forumite
    It's certainly possible, but does come with dangers...

We were due to exchange and complete last week but a last minute hitch with our buyers left us high and dry in a house full of boxes trying to cancel the removal men last minute. We've now decided on a week between exchange and completion so that we KNOW we're definately moving and can re-direct post / change address / book removal men with confidence...

Having said that last time we moved we exchanged and completed on the same day with no problems. Guess it depends on your confidence of your chain really.

Good luck anyway. As far as I know there is no further costs involved, although your solicitor will charge you is they draw your mortgage and then have to send it back for a last minute problem.
  • sidabm
    sidabm Posts: 197 Forumite
    I have always exchanged and completed on the same day because i am too tight to pay the deposit and touch wood 5 moves, no problems, but as in previous post if it does go wrong you are homeless....

Sidabm
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would worry that someone will try and force a price change, because your packed and ready to go it will be hard not to give in.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I had the situation forced upon me 2 weeks ago and - Yes it is possible to exchange and complete (and get a Mortgage Redemtion Figure) on the same day but it is very very nerve wracking. It doesn't cost any more but as stated there are potential risks involved.
    I was selling the old family home and buying two smaller properties for cash but the seller of my house (BTLer getting out of the game) and his solicitor were really not up to speed, despite having a months notice of completion date. So there I was on completion day sat there with no redemption figure for my buy, a quick phone call to his agent explaining that I knew exactly where he could stick his house if things didn't happen did the trick (It has been empty and on the market for 8 months)
    All the fees for my sell were luckily with the conveyancer and both I and my buyer using the same one helped but it was touch and go, we exchanged eventually at mid day, completed at two and I was moving boxes in at midnight.
    It is not a scenario I would like to go through again I must admit but sometimes it is inevitable.
    Oh and just for fun the estate agent lost my front door key so everything had to go through the back door too. The movers just shrugged and got on with it - Bless em..........
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • charlie007
    charlie007 Posts: 413 Forumite
    thanks, might go for it. I have been living in boxes too long already
    x
    Mortgage free Start amount feb 2014 227000. Current amount nov 2014 217000.

Challenges 2015
    No alcohol January. No spend February
    Write down all spends over the whole year
  • lostfarmer wrote:
    It's certainly possible, but does come with dangers...

We've now decided on a week between exchange and completion so that we KNOW we're definately moving and can re-direct post / change address / book removal men with confidence...

Still no guarantee, we exchanged contracts but did not complete on time.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • lostfarmer
    lostfarmer Posts: 72 Forumite
    Quote: "Still no guarantee, we exchanged contracts but did not complete on time."

Noooooo! Don't say that! I thought people got large charges etc if they didn't complete on time and that completion was fixed once exchange had taken place?
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I exchanged & completed on the same day being a FTB moving into a new home ( new build)

Right on the eve of it, the service charge went up from 25 a month to 75 a month. At that stage it was obvious they had me over a barell, but what can you do :confused:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was told that mortgage lenders do not start sending the money until after you have exchanged. It then takes a couple of days for the money to reach your solicitor, who of course must have it in order to complete.
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    I was told that mortgage lenders do not start sending the money until after you have exchanged. It then takes a couple of days for the money to reach your solicitor, who of course must have it in order to complete.

All depends on the lender, some will want to have upto 5 working days between exchange & completion, others will be ok to exchange & complete on the same day. Many solicitors will request the funds for the day before completion, this ensures they do not delay the completion.

Getting back to the OP, exchange & completing on the same day is quite straight forward, especially with a short chain. Speak to your solicitor to ensure they can do this for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure