Scottish & Southern Energy, Partnership Sales Team on 0800 117 116

also
    Electric Wet Heating Economy 10 Scottish Hydro-Electric
    Systems e.g. electric Scottish Power
    boilers; air or ground EDF Energy
    source heat pumps G ood Energy Limited
    Atlantic Electric & Gas
    SWALEC

offer econ 10 according to http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/185B64F2-304F-42D5-BD2A-6BF520DE3657/0/ElectricalTariffs.pdf
  • We have this tariff it seems to cost a fortune but not sure if this is because we have just switched from Storage Heaters to Electric wet rads??? With have it with Socttish Southern most of the people there don't seem to know what it is but are bill does have 2 tarriffs with 2 periods of cheaper elec in the day.
  • I am quite annoyed with eon too, I thought for three years I had economy 7 tried to switch and now they finally admit I have economy 10. It heats up at 3 times during - one during the night one in the afternoon and also in the evening. Eon put my tarriff up from 80 pounds a month to £132, with a cost increse of 9% how can they condone that I don't know.

Anyway Eon said the reason its expensive is because economy 10 has a daily standing charge, she suggested that I get an electrician in and get changed to economy 7. They said it will affect my water meaning it will only be able to heat up at night. The storage heatersheat up at night anyway so thats fine.

Npower said they would get an electrician in and change me over to economy 7 for free. So I went with that......but now I am worried that my immersion water heater controller seems to have no controls or time box to change the times it heats up. What if we have to replace it?
    Oct: Philosophy night & day cream & and microdelivery peel rrp.£130
  • Airmike23
    Airmike23 Posts: 403 Forumite
    It's uncommon the power company will get the electrician in to sort out the hot water, that was not a promise of an Npower door to door salesperson I hope, if it was I think you'll find when you contact Npower to arrange the meter exchange they will advise you the cost of the electrician is on the householder so the hot water is wired into the night read of the meter, the power company just arranges the meter exchange - by the sounds of it with you having an E10 meter the company who will change the meter will be Central Networks, until recently an Eon company! If you do go to just an e7 meter Scottish Power or EDF are cheapest e7 suppliers in your region generally speaking, check your usgae tho, npower have potentially caused you more trouble than it might be worth by recommending you swap to them as they do not support e10 meters and because they have to gain the meter on that basis there is a chance they may cancel their request whern they realise you have a type of meter they dont support
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am quite annoyed with eon too, I thought for three years I had economy 7 tried to switch and now they finally admit I have economy 10. It heats up at 3 times during - one during the night one in the afternoon and also in the evening. Eon put my tarriff up from 80 pounds a month to £132, with a cost increse of 9% how can they condone that I don't know.

Anyway Eon said the reason its expensive is because economy 10 has a daily standing charge, she suggested that I get an electrician in and get changed to economy 7. They said it will affect my water meaning it will only be able to heat up at night. The storage heatersheat up at night anyway so thats fine.

Npower said they would get an electrician in and change me over to economy 7 for free. So I went with that......but now I am worried that my immersion water heater controller seems to have no controls or time box to change the times it heats up. What if we have to replace it?

Congratulations on digging up this
    4 year old thread.

If you had looked at more recent ones regarding E10, I'm sure you would have seen a comment suggesting not to even attempt to switch supplier or tariff whilst on this as it inevitably ends in tears.

A case in point I'm afraid.

You were misled if you thought the supplier would re-wire your home and give you suitable appliances to work on a different tariff. You need to pay to get your own expert advice and any appropriate changes to appliances, sorry.
    Often its simpler, and perhaps cheaper, just to move.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi littleclanger

Economy 10 meters tend to be installed in all electric properties with storage heaters.

Your bills will have contained details of the tariff, usually on the first page. Also, we send out Welcome Packs when a new account is set up with similar details.

The meters themselves differ from Economy 7, in that, they have three readings - night, day and stored heat.

As you say, Economy 10 meters give 10 hours per day of cheaper cost electricity for water and central heating requirements over three separate periods.

As such, they're wired directly into the water/heating circuits at properties. Consequently, replacing the meter may have implications for the water and heating.

Therefore, I always advise customers to have their systems checked by an independent approved electrician before arranging a meter change.

Both Premier and Airmike are spot on; the cost of this is the responsibility of the customer.

Sorry I can't be more positive littleclanger but hope this is useful. Give me a shout if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • andyrpsmith
    andyrpsmith Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This may or may not help. I moved in aug 2008 to old house with storage heaters (no gas) with Southern Electric (Scottish Power now) Economy 10. My bill for the year to Aug 2009 was just over £3000. My unit price was 7.8p for storage heating and 14p for all else. I changed to a single rate tariff (OVO) of 8.6p and used more controllable oil filled heaters. My bill for 2009/2010 was £2000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure