Gel Nails - How to Remove?

2»

Comments

• freyasmum wrote: »
    didn't mean to thank you :p

If it's a buff-off gel, then it will have to be removed with a file. This shouldn't be attempted yourself as it's very easy to remove layers of the natural nail :eek:

If it's a soak-off gel, then the best way to do it at home is to saturate some cotton balls/pads with acetone, place them onto your fingers and cover with tin foil. The heat kept in from the tin-foil will help the acetone work quicker.

If you soak the nails off, you will remove the tips.

Can I ask why you want to keep the tips on? It is the overlay (whether it be gel or liquid and powder) that gives the nail it's strength. The tip won't stay on for long itself :)

hey thanx

I bought some gels and i want to do it myself from now on. That's why i want to keep the tips ;) I was confused at first because some said that you have to soak the gel and others that you buff it or use a drill. The one that i have on now is a buff-off gel so i will buff off this time. The other color that i bought is a soak off gel. So i guess that when it's the time to remove it I will have to soak it and remove the tips as well. Can I just buff off this one in order to keep the tips again?
    I have another question :eek: (oh God)
    Can i use a base gel then normal manicure then builder gel and top coat? I've been told that normal manicure does not work with gel... :confused:

OK no more questions for now :T
  • i use that too. i fix my nails, apply my acrylic powder and nail polish. i use dissolver to dissolve the gelllllllll
  • thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    freejunkie wrote: »
    buy acetone from the salon you had your nails done oh or boots do it to,
    soak enough cotton wool to cover top of your finger and nail and wrap with (i use cling film first to secure it ) then tin foil & wait till soaked off.
    tip:do not be tempted to pick off you can actually 'lift' the nail off the nail bed, or weaken it.
    if you pick gel / acrylic of your nail you will actually also be removing about 2 layers of your nail plate
    hope this helps
    So just to check that this works with the acetone?

Ive had gel nails a few months but they are always braking tips/ gel comming off after a week/ two weeks its costing me a fortune
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • freejunkie
    freejunkie Posts: 484 Forumite

Ive had gel nails a few months but they are always braking tips/ gel comming off after a week/ two weeks its costing me a fortune

Some gel will not dissolve with acetone, its a case of very careful buffing.

As for your nails breaking, do u go to the same salon? Have they had any advice for you?
    The tech could be at fault with their application, and lack of consultation.

If you are not used to having nails it could be the nails are a little long for you,
    also acrylic is stronger.

HTH
    :j:j:j Wooooo Hooooo :j:j:j
  • mshappy
    mshappy Posts: 806 Forumite

I found when i worked in retail gel nails just wouldn't last.Does depend on the technician.The only ones which have broke are my thumbs.One i got caught in the photocopier and the other i hit really hard and it cracked.
    2012 wins! can of deodorant, a personalised Bean, craft show tickets, Top Gear Live Tickets, Case of sourz fusion
  • Buy a bottle of soak off from Boots, or a use any acetone nail polish remover. Put into a small low bowl or any small container that wont disolve and is bigger enough to sit with all your nail tips in! takes at least 30mins so get comfy... have a large amount of cotton wool and a nail file not a very rough one. Soak nails, every 10mins with cotton wool soaked with Acetone wipe over nails, and gently file, keep repeating this. the nail tips may need a gently tug! to get loose. after wash hands give nails a good soak with olive oil or any special nail oil. If any ridges left gently buff with a buffer not a file.
  • Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    1chelsea wrote: »
    Buy a bottle of soak off from Boots, or a use any acetone nail polish remover. Put into a small low bowl or any small container that wont disolve and is bigger enough to sit with all your nail tips in! takes at least 30mins so get comfy... have a large amount of cotton wool and a nail file not a very rough one. Soak nails, every 10mins with cotton wool soaked with Acetone wipe over nails, and gently file, keep repeating this. the nail tips may need a gently tug! to get loose. after wash hands give nails a good soak with olive oil or any special nail oil. If any ridges left gently buff with a buffer not a file.

This will remove acrylic ( eventually) but as stated above not all gel is acetone soluble. I could soak my gels in acetone and they'd still be there! I use pure acetone as a nail varnish remover and it has no effect on them whatsoever. When I had acrylic they would go slightly sticky as they started to dissolve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure