Railcard discount for oyster prepay

Comments

• chuckley wrote: »
    how does this work, if your starting station is not an oyster station?!
    I imagine that provided you get to an Oyster station at some point during the same day to register your discount, the discounted price cap should still apply, including any previous journies that day.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    muffin_man wrote: »
    I imagine that provided you get to an Oyster station at some point during the same day to register your discount, the discounted price cap should still apply, including any previous journies that day.
    so basically it only applies to people starting at an oyster station?

glad to see im not wasting any money yet :)
  • KeithP wrote: »
    Only until April, Beate. Then all the country's senior citizens will be able to use London's buses for free too (with some restrictions of course - this is England:D ).
    Yes - they will be able to use London's BUSES for free from April. But this registration of Senior Railcard will give benefits with Tube, Rail, DLR & Trams as well as buses
  • mjon3105
    mjon3105 Posts: 61 Forumite
    I am rather confused as I too have been told by Rail station staff that there is no off peak 3 day travel card rate available though this does NOT correspond with what is stated on the tfl.gov.uk website which clearly indicates tehre is such a card available.... or is it only available at certain stations eg; on the tube?

Advice appreciated....I spoke with TFL again this morning who said YES and no restrictions but with local Rail; station who said NO 3 day off peak available......

dzug wrote: »
    A return journey within zone 1 costs £8 without Oyster, £3 with.

A day ticket is £6.80 peak, £5.30 off-peak. Oyster will cap at 50p less.

A three day ticket is £17.40 peak, no off-peak fare.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mjon3105, just guessing but does there is no off peak 3 day travel card rate available mean that there is only a full price valid any time 3day travelcard available?

If so, perhaps everybody is right -
    a) TFL said YES (it is available) and no restrictions (no restrictions means it is available peak and offpeak, i.e. full price).
    b) local Rail station said NO 3 day off peak available (i.e. only the full priced, valid peak and off peak, is available).
    c) dzug said a three day ticket is £17.40 peak, no off-peak fare.

As I said, just a guess.
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    muffin_man wrote: »

Correct - I registered mine in the middle of the day and the previous journeys were counted towards the cap, not charged separately.

Once it's registered it's on the card for good - you don't need to do it each day.
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    There is a three day off peak travelcard available - but only for zones 1-6 (£20) - not zones 1-2 where there is only the one price (£17.40) for both peak/off-peak.

Maybe you asked the wrong question. Or they answered the wrong question...
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Is anyone else having trouble getting on the tfl website?

I ordered my oyster card yesterday as I am off to London on the 1st Feb. I will arrive at Euston, so can I get my YP railcard attached to my oyster.

I don't want to look like a fool! :(
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Anyone travelling in Zone 1 and 2 London will be better off buying off peak day ticket - Think £5.30 per day - cheaper than 3 day ticket £17.40 for 3 days. Found out when in London couple of weeks back. If anyone has children with them - Younger ages free - 12 year old paid £1 per day.
  • Do you have to pay initially to get an Oyster card, before you put credit on it? I'm going to london on sunday til tues. From what I've read it looks like it will work out cheaper to get a day travel pass, prob only zones 1-2, every day. Is that right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure